22|Storm|

My heart starts pounding, trying to get myself to panic. No, no. We're staying calm. It's just a storm. We don't need to panic over a little bit of rain. There's been worse.

"Din? Just give me a beep if you can hear me," I plead with the transponder clutched in my fist. I stare at the shiny metal gadget, just waiting for any indication of acknowledgement. It remains quiet.

Calm down, Koda. Maker, you're acting like the ship just blew up or something. It's just rain.

I lay back in my seat to try to ease my nerves. Realistically, the coms probably just lost connection because of the storm. The energy waves of the storm tend to wipe out wireless electronics quite easily. There's no reason to assume the worst. I'm overreacting.

But I can't help myself. My heart races and my mind wanders to every possibility.

Is the connection just lost, or is he in trouble?

Did my com-link break?

Did he get captured and can't respond to me?

No, Koda. Stop it. Thinking like this will help nobody. I should find something to occupy my mind with. He's capable of doing missions on his own. He did it for far longer before I came into the picture. 

I move around the ship, looking for something to do. I already cleaned everything and everything is put away in its rightful spot. Unfortunately, I didn't stumble upon any board games or decks of cards in my search inside the cabin. Definitely nothing for entertainment. 

I mean, what does he do to entertain himself? Is he just always on a mission so that he doesn't have to find entertainment? There's no way he's that busy all the time.

I rummage around my brown bag to look for something to do in there. I swipe around coins, snacks, my weapons. I could give my weapons a good wipe down, I guess. It's always good to maintain them, or else they may fail you when you need them the most.

I pull my itty bitty blaster and my saber from my big bag and set them down on the floor before me. I can take apart a saber to clean it in my sleep by now, but I've never taken apart a blaster before. It can't be that difficult, can it?

The wind outside smacks against every side of the ship.

I take apart my saber in just a few seconds. I've barely had a chance to use it in the few weeks I've been travelling with Din, so it's nearly spotless on the inside. No dirt, no dust, no grime. 

I sigh and put it back together, fruitless in my efforts to find something to do.

The storm slams gallons of rain on the ship over and over again. I sway in my seat side to side as the ship jostles me back and forth from the wind. The sky above me has become a dark grey color, ominous and foreboding.

I hope he's okay.

My heart rate doesn't cease its race. It pounds against the inside of my chest powerfully, unyielding in its panic.

I turn the blaster in my hand a few times, arguing with myself on the pros and cons of attempting to take this thing apart. I have absolutely zero experience doing it, and I don't know if now is a great time to try.

I lift the com-link back up to my mouth and try again.

"Din?"

Nothing.

"Can you hear me?"