And He's Gone

I stare after him, really not sure what the fuck is going on with my emotions today, because...I'm also worried. About him. Legit, I didn't think I had that ability left inside me. In fact, I'm pretty damn sure I didn't before tonight.

Soran materializes in my line of sight, grips my arm, and shadowsteps away, after Vex. Absently, I cover the spot he touched, and all I can think is he must have been making sure I was safe before he ran after his friend.

His other friend.

Tears fall as I stand here alone. Part of me wishes I hadn't seen Vex like that. He's less of a figurehead now, he's more...real.

Another part is happy, fucked up as that is, that I was here for him. Me, not any of these other shitheads.

And worst of all, every other part of me just wants to run back to Dragon, find those stupid wolves, tell them I'm sorry, and go pick out a fucking sectional.

I choke on a sob, pressing my hand to my mouth as I zip to a shadow and step out on the roof of a cathedral, two blocks over.

My emotions calm with just a few breaths. The view from here is pretty, but that's not the only reason I like it. The high point gets winds from all directions, making what amounts to a buffet of scents, while creating a blind spot for ours, protecting us from supes that hunt by smell. There are a couple places like this around France, but this is the closest.

I stare at the moon for what feels like hours, watching clouds pass, stars winking in and out. Axel said something about me not being in Vegas, and that he was Alpha of the Southwest. So, as long as I never go stateside at all, there's zero chance they'll find me.

Another tear forms and I rub the aching spot on my neck for the first time. As soon as my fingers touch, it's like I can feel him all over me. It's too much. I nearly jump off this spire, but the air changes behind me, and I freeze.

I feel Vex step out of the shadow, the hum of my blood answering to its master, so I don't bother glancing over when he joins me at the rail, hands in pockets.

"I'm leaving."

My eyes widen, hands curling around the ornate metal. Fuck, is losing a biteling worth abandoning an entire clan over? "Yeah? Where to?"

He takes a long breath, adjusting his footing. "I haven't decided."

"Do the others know?"

I glance up in time to see him shake his head, gaze distant.

It's hard to see him like this. I swallow and thread my fingers. "You coming back?"

Another long breath. "It's time for a change. The Immortal Cross has squatted in Paris for far too long. I promised you all more, and haven't delivered. Hale's...death," he shifts his shoulders, adjusting his suit jacket, "reminded me. I also have other things I need to sort. Revenge...I need to administer."

"So, not abandoning the clan?"

"Never," he says with quiet resolve, tracking a bat through the sky. "Moving it to a new home of our own making."

I'll never admit it, but that sounds sort of exciting. I like the place we're in now, but it's about to fall apart around us, and we're sort of borrowing it from the government on a very unofficial basis.

"Why tell me?"

He cuts his gaze to me. "Why not?"

I smile, ducking my chin. "I hope you don't think we're besties now that I've seen you almost die."

His soft chuckle is nearly lost to a warbling siren in the distance. "No, Candy. We're not besties. I wouldn't even go so far as to call us friends."

"Good. I don't really do that whole," I flail my hand, "thing."

"I'm aware."

"Then why are you even talking to me at all?"

Another pause. "I respect you. Your struggle to maintain. I think...we are more alike than you realize."

I snort, hiding the choking grip of emotion. "Doubt that, Mister King of the Vampires."

"Hm," he chuckles again. "You'd be surprised. I'll send word when I need you." He steps back, and I assume he's going to leave, but he touches my shoulder again. It's a super charged contact, because it feels a lot like what Soran did before.

"Thank you," he says simply.

I swallow and nod. "I'm sorry, my king."

"Vex, please. Just..." He trails off when a whirlwind picks up around us and sniffs the air near my jacket. "Wolves?"

I fling it off in a panic, and it flutters down to the street below.

"A bit obvious, Candy."

We watch as it hits the ground and is run over by a bike.

"Yeah. I realize that now."

"For the record, I don't care. Love who you wish, but don't hold back." He catches my gaze with his haunted, bloodshot one. "Life, no matter how infinite it feels, can end without warning."

And he's gone.

~~
NP: Thanks so very much for reading! I hope you're enjoying it <3
Next episode coming: 8-7-23
By the way, you can join my facebook group for other content if you so desire! www.facebook.com/groups/PrimsPack