Chapter 29

Just breathe, B! It's not like it's the first time you've ever watched him play... Vic said, rubbing my back as I was having a nervous breakdown. And it surely isn't the first time he got tackled.

But it was my first time watching as his girlfriend! I had the right to freak out when I see my boyfriend being chased, tackled and buried under five other guys!

Oh, Hunny, he's fine, don't worry. Marie tried to calm me down. That play just saved enough time to try something that wins the game. I'm sure. He let himself get caught.

It was true. He slowed down just as he reached the point for a safety. They needed the two points to get even, and now they had a chance to score.

Vittorio had spotted the scouts and was very attentive to their expressions. He would periodically commented on them as there was a complicated play.

What do you think...? I asked following his gaze. There was a man from Bamma, one from Notre Dame, one from Michigan and another one we were not able to recognize.

They seem impressed. Specially the man from Bamma.

You think there will be offers this week? Dante asked.

I should think so.

Lucas got up from the ground popping his neck like nothing happened. I could finally breathe again. The big screen next to the marker showed a close up and people was raging with excitement.

A really scary coldness pread on my limbs in that moment. Like a bad omen.

I scanned the crowd, feeling the energy oozing out from them. They loved him. People would follow him to the ends of the Earth. There was never a doubt in my mind that he would succeed and be someone famous. A legend. But I never really thought of myself as part of that world, part of his world. I couldn't see myself in the big leagues, meeting other famous people, having paparazzi and fans following us everywhere...

A very bitter feeling set in the pith of my stomach.

What if I really couldn't be part of that future with him? What if I couldn't handle the attention, the press, the opinionated people on tv and social media? I was bad enough as it was now, when he was only a HS player... Imagine how much worst it could get when he got to the National League, with millions of people following his every move, hundreds of thousands of fans interested in him and his life...

What if that world showed him better things, including better girls... Prettier, sexier, smarter, more accomplished than me? What if he finds out that I'm not as special out in that huge new world? What if he realizes that the broken girl next door, the orphan, the 'criminal's daughter' is more trouble than gain? What if he leaves and never comes back?

He was gonna make it to the top and I was scared shitless of it. 'Cuz I knew I wasn't worthy of being by his side.

I sighed as I watched him going back to position for the resume of the match.

There was nothing I could do now. I loved him. Whatever his choice was, I would have to respect it, even if it broke my heart.

The rest of the match went by in a flash. They won by two points. Vittorio saw the Coach shaking hands with the scouts. They talked for a bit and then started their way towards the bleachers, where we were waiting for Lucas. He was still out in the field, greeting the rivals.

Mr. Rossi... This is Herman Mansfield, from the Michigan Wolverines... They shook hands as the Coach was presenting the next ones. Lucas was already making his way towards us. Caleb Swanson, from Alabama, Newton Brewster from Notre Dame... And this is Carl Lewis, from NE Patriots...