Chapter 25: Christmas in New York

Three months have passed. In a typical fashion true to myself, I became 100% focused on my career as my personal life was falling apart. They were three relatively drama-free months of browsing job catalogues in the New York film scene - one that I'd always reserved a special place in my heart for. It was one of the reasons that I decided to leave LA for a fresh start. When I first got out of school, I rushed to LA out of peer pressure because that was the "place to do movies". New York just wasn't seen as legit, but had produced small indie gems that won great critical acclaim. On the other hand, New York looked up to LA as the movie capital and always welcomed people with LA experience. 

After an extended period of self-reflection, I realized that any job I could find in New York would be somewhat repetitive of what I'd done before. I knew all the agents in the business, and I still had a long list of director and writer relationships who were willing to pitch to me. So as I was lying awake one night, I thought to myself: why not set up my own shingle and go solo as a producer? 

And that was exactly what I did - I set up a home office to reduce overhead, and started taking calls with my connections. Things took off faster than I ever anticipated, and before long I had a slate of projects going. Part-time gigs in the business started rolling in as well, including an invitation from the board of the New York Film Festival to be a part-time Director of Programming, which I accepted without any hesitation whatsoever. 

"We're so glad to be able to have you join us," the board welcomed me in our first meeting together, "can't wait to have you start working with us." 

"Thank you so much - I'm thrilled for the opportunity." 

"The reason we're in a big rush to get you started is that we're very understaffed for a special retrospective that we're planning - the pieces are just not coming together yet." 

"Sure, I'm all ears." 

"It's called New York in the Movies. It's a love letter to the city that's so generously supported us over the years by showcasing a slate of classic movies set in it. We'll host screenings, invite cast & crew for panels, that kind of thing. We have high hopes for it, and we're already generating buzz on social." 

"Amazing, I'm in love with the idea. I'm an east coast girl myself, so it's refreshing to be a part of this after being in LA for so long - no offense to LA though!" 

Everybody laughed. "Amazing, so we've already narrowed down the list of movies. Since the whole thing takes place close to Christmas - we've taken holiday and seasonal themes into account too. You know how spectacular the city will be during that time, so we want to make it into a whole experience for out-of-towners. Especially couples. There'll be romance hanging in the air!" 

I was handed a packet. They continued, "So far we have Serendipity, When Harry Met Sally, The Holiday. And just to add a bit of diversity in here and show that we're not so traditional like people think we are, Carol. It'll be its fifth anniversary too." 

A shadow moved across my mood. "I'm a big fan of...all of them." 

"For Carol, I'm happy to say that we were able to book Rooney Mara. She's from New York, went to NYU, etc., and she'll be back in town by then to visit family, so I think she'll be able to add a lot to the conversation. We want you to interview her on the panel next week, so just watch the movie if you haven't and take some time to think about how to structure the conversation. We're planning on doing a Instagram Live of it..."

"No problem." 

-----

You never know how the sight of subway grates could obliterate you emotionally if you've never seen Carol. As I got ready for bed that night, I decided to rewatch it to brainstorm interview topics with Rooney. The opening images, coupled with Carter Burwell's haunting score, burned all my senses. Then they spot each other across the room, they drink, they dine, they drive, they smoke, they flirt, they imbue quotidian things with such intimacy and a quiet abandon. 

But the whole time another part of me was wondering what I'd banned myself from thinking. Would Cate ever see the interview? She didn't use social media, so she probably wouldn't do a live streaming. The thought saddened and comforted me at once. It was probably easier to do this without any of my personal burdens getting in the way. And to praise the movie without feeling self-conscious. 

But nerves were already starting to get to me. I took solace in the fact that I wasn't remotely attracted to Rooney Mara (she was way too young), even though she was absolutely gorgeous. It would make it a bit less intimidating to talk to her. 

I browsed the ticketing page - over 800 people had already signed up for the retrospective, surely to make it one of the most popular for the festival this year. 

Three days later, I took a very well-crafted pitch with me to meet with the board a second time. When I got to their offices, I noticed a slight air of chaos. The assistants were scrambling on the phones, board members were engaged in heated discussions. 

"What's going on?" I asked the front desk. 

"I'm not sure," she said, a young demure girl, "I think there were last-minute changes to the programming, but not sure what exactly. Sorry." 

"That's all right," I smiled, and before I could ask any follow-up questions, a board member pulled me into their meeting room. 

"You're here just in time, because we have some updates." the board said after I sat down. 

"You're getting me a bit nervous," I laughed uncomfortably. 

"We're sorry for the short notice, as the festival opens tomorrow and your retrospective happens in 48 hours." They apologized, "Rooney fell really sick this week and can't make it anymore." 

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry to hear that," I said, uncertain whether to be worried or relieved, "so we're cancelling the Carol screening?" 

"We can't possibly," they replied, "we already published the programming online and have over 2000 people who bought tickets." 

"So...we're just doing it without the panel with Rooney then?"

"This part is the good news. Cate Blanchett happens to be in town this week, and has agreed to do the panel instead."