Epilogue

(Kousei's perspective) 

"I could never forget you," I mouth to the brunette running with me until the last moment. 

Until our train passes through a tunnel, and the darkness is here. 

Yes, Kaori lit up the depths of the ocean. I am always to be grateful to her for that.

But, Tsubaki... 

Where do I begin?

Her caring since day one. Her letter. Her everything. 

Can we even call ourselves siblings anymore? 

I am in my dormitory by this point, trying to come up with a response to her letter. A single candle lights up my desk. 

I reread the phrase, "P.S. You reached me," repeatedly until it's etched into my heart forever.

I alternate to the lines before, "I want to be... Yours, Tsubaki Sawabe." Heat flushes to my cheeks, a new sensation. 

Who knew Tsubaki was such a wordsmith? I would think I of all people, would know that, but I suppose I do not.

Until she illustrated her heart on her sleeve. All to me. Poured out in this letter like I pour parts of myself on the stage.

That's it...

Words won't do in my case. 

For Tsubaki, words make sense. Softball isn't exactly a tool that communicates romance.

Piano? That might be it. 

It's been a month since I've settled into my dorm. A month since I left the world I knew, a spring without Kaori, behind. 

I will see Tsubaki again, I promise myself. Watari too. 

Hopefully, she will forgive me for taking so long. 

I book a ticket. 

After all, even though Kaori had to return to heaven, the world, with you, is still colorful. 

This time, I choose to love you. 

Not just because Kaori loves Watari or because she is gone.

 But because you reached me too. 

In the end, we can reframe things. And for the better.