Next Of Kin

AN: This episode always hurts me a little too much. Also this has not been edited.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I've always hated bouncy houses." I grimaced getting out of the engine.

Chim shot me a questioning look as I just shrugged as to say 'it is what it is' rather than talk about it. We all walked over towards the cliff edge assessing the situation.

"Adult male, down, on the hillside. We got three kids in a bouncy house." I spoke over the radio as I looked down over the cliffside.

"All right, we're gonna station the trucks on that service road. Alex, I want you, Hen, and Buck to rappel down, anchor that bouncy house. Assess the condition of those kids, start to send them down one-by-one in a basket. I'll take care of the dad. Chimney, you're gonna stay up here and work the winch." Bobby explained how it was gonna go to us.

"Hey. How come I never get to do any of the fun stuff?" Chimney asked him.

"Working the winch is fun." Bobby told him as we all began gearing up.

Once we all had our harnesses on, I checked Buck's to make sure it was on right while Hen and Bobby double checked each other's. I went to double check mine, but Buck beat me to it, sending me a soft smile.

I returned the smile as we all lined up getting ready to make our way down. I was on the far side with Hen next to me, I moved down first heading for the bouncy house to secure it. Seeing where it was caught on a rock I clipped it securing it before I radioed. "Bouncy house is secured, Chim."

"Copy." He replied.

"Hey guys? Hey! We're L.A. Fire and Rescue. We're gonna get you out of here, okay? Everybody just stay calm." Buck told them as he got the netting open

"Hey boys, can you tell if your friend here is okay? Is he awake? Is he breathing?" Hen asked.

Both boys shook their heads.

"Lower the basket down Chim." Buck said over the radio.

"We're gonna get that first kid out, Alex you take him down." Hen softly spoke.

I nodded.

"Is my dad okay?" One of the boys asked.

"Chim little lower." Buck says as I move towards the unconscious boy and got a neck brace on him.

"Alright, that's it. Nice and easy, nice and easy." Buck said. "Alright basket coming in Alex."

Hen helped me get the kid in the basket when I heard Buck over the comm's. "Alex is going down with one kid."

"Boys come on let's go now!" Hen told them making them move.

"Hen Is right behind her ready to go. Chim we're good take me down." Buck said over the radio.

After a while of trying to get ahold of Athena, I found Hen. "Hey, have you been able to get ahold of Athena? I've been trying for a few hours, and I've got nothing."

"No I've sent her a few texts but I haven't got anything back yet." She shook her head. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah, I was just trying to figure out what time I was supposed to pick up May tomorrow." I told her.

"Ah yes, Your regular sister outing." Hen grinned at me. "I'm sure she's just busy and she'll call you back later."

"Yeah you're right." I nodded before returning to my book.

I was just pulling into the parking lot to grab some groceries when my phone rang.

"Athena hey, didn't mean to blow up your phone earlier I was just trying to find out what time I was picking May up tomorrow." I told her as I got out of the car.