Chapter 8

— "How could you? how could you leave me alone with him!?" "I needed help, you were the only one that cared about me Lexi and you left me alone to deal with your father!"

My mother's voice was running through my head loud and frantic, begging for help and asking why I left her. I couldn't get her image out of my mind. She was standing there crying in her grey jeans and the purple top she loved so much; her face was red and blotchy as tears ran down her face in our living room in Santa Carla. I tried to tell her I'm sorry, tried to apologize for leaving her and tell her why I had to leave but no words escaped my mouth. I tried to grab on to her but I couldn't reach her even though she was standing so close, it's like the more I tried to hold her than the further she would move away.

"It's too late... You can't help me now" She said just loud enough so I could hear before she lowered her face, when she raised her head to look at me again it wasn't the same fragile mother I was used too. She tilted her head to the side as she was staring at me and that's when I noticed the same angry and violent twinkle that I've seen so many times before in my dad's eyes. She started to raise her fist and I turned bolting out of the front door, slamming it behind me and leaned my body weight against it with my eyes closed.

"Is that her now!?" I heard my dad scream from the kitchen followed by a plate smashing on the ground. I opened my eyes to see that I'm in my old house, the one I lived in before we moved to Santa Carla. I looked around confused, I remember this. I came home one night after a party upset and wasted so I didn't bother being quiet when I came home, it didn't matter anyways though because my dead already noticed I had snuck out.

"Do you have any idea how much trouble you're in?" He said in a low voice as he walked around the kitchen corner and into the living room with a menacing smile. I tried to run past him to go upstairs and lock myself in my room until he pulled my hair to throw me onto the floor, I was crying and yelling for him to leave me alone but he didn't. Before I had the chance to get up he started kicking me repeatedly in the gut and at my sides. I screamed at him to stop but he didn't listen, he just continued to hurt me. —

I sat up abruptly in a crying hysterical mess and looked around the room terrified only to realize it was just the cave, my home. I wiped away my tears and started calming myself down. It was just a nightmare, I repeated in my head. I stood up to find my watch to check the time. 1:00pm. that's weird, I never wake up this late. I must be becoming weaker, not only am I sleeping later but I'm getting hungrier too. I looked around our room and at the opening of the boys coffin hole, no one's going to be awake for another 4 and a half hours and I'm not going to be able to go back to sleep anytime soon. I put on my sunglasses and grabbed my jean jacket as I left the cave and starting my long walk to the boardwalk, still wearing the same clothes from the night before. It was hot out and I could feel the sun tanning my exposed skin but I didn't mind it, soon I'll be too weak like star and I won't be able to be in the sun like I am right now. I didn't know what I was going to do at the boardwalk when I got there, I was just sick of sleeping all day and I wanted to be outside on a nice day in the sun while I still could.

~

When I got there the boardwalk was not as busy and crowded as it usually was when I'd go at night, so it was a lot less irritating trying to control my urge for blood. I walked around from shop to shop looking at things but not interested in buying anything. I was walking past a mainstream clothes store when I saw Sam exit the comic book store I met him in. I laughed to myself, thinking of all the corny flirting we do with each other and stopped myself thinking of Paul. This needs to stop right now, the flirty jokes, the smiles, all that needs to stop because I belong with Paul. He must have noticed me standing in the middle of the pathway looking at him because he winked at me. I gave him a friendly smile, not the flirtatious smile I was so used to giving him. I walked over to him; I'm going to end this flirty thing right now.