Chapter 9

When I got to the cave it was 5:30 and the sun had gone down, shopping and having ice cream with Sam took up the whole afternoon and after I vomited; I didn't take my time walking home and tried not to panic about why I vomited. I thought about the usual causes of being sick, food poisoning was the stupidest option to pop into my head because I hadn't eaten in weeks. That ice cream was the first thing I had actually eaten but I couldn't even finish it because it tasted like nothing, I can't even enjoy things ice cream anymore.

There's a bad side to being a vampire and a human, I just need to decide which life I prefer. An eternal life which means I will never grow old, never get sick with no responsibilities and will be beside the few people I care about and who showed me what family really meant. Or a mortal life which I can have children and grandchildren, a career and enjoy simple things like the sun on my skin.

I walked down the stairs and into the mouth of the cave.

"Where the hell have you been?" Paul jumped up and started walking to me straight away.

"I was at the boardwalk with a friend, gosh calm down would you?" I said defensively.

"No I'm not going to calm down. It's too dangerous to do that, you're too weak to be out in the sun now" I was about to make a snarky comment about not needing a third parent before I stumbled and he caught me just before I hit the ground, holding me as he helped me stand back up.

"See? What if you were to collapse out there in the middle of the afternoon? None of us would be able to come and help you until the sun came down and by then it would be too late. You may be a half blood but that doesn't make you invincible and it doesn't mean you're strong enough to handle it out there anymore"

He was right, I don't think now would be a good time to tell him that I almost did exactly that this afternoon right after I puked up my blood.

"Okay I'm sorry, can we just stop talking about this?" I asked feeling sick again. He walked me over and sat me down at the fountain.

"As long as you promise me you won't do that again" He held my face in his hands and I looked into his eyes. He wasn't mad about me leaving, he was just worried.

"I promise" He smiled then leaned in kissing me deeply.

"I love you" He said to me after he pulled away. It's so rare for me to ever hear someone say those words to me and actually mean it. Tears briefly came to my eyes and I blinked them away.

"I love you too Paul" Then his lips were on mine again.

~~

Before everyone was to wake up, Paul helped me change into clean clothes because I was still light headed and found it hard to stand without any help. How has Star and Laddie kept themselves from feeding this long? When I was ready to go out for the night, Paul walked me to my bed telling me to rest until everyone else was ready to go. I did as I was told to keep him happy, he's so worried about me and I think he enjoys me being dependent on him. He likes the thought of me needing to be looked after by him. I don't know when he turned into a vampire but I do know that chivalry was still alive and well in his time and that under his 'badass rock star' façade, he's a real gentleman.

Not ten minutes later did I hear David's loud and obnoxious voice boom through the hotel. "Let's go everyone, we're going to go mess with the Emerson kid"

Emerson, that was Sam's last name so no doubt they are talking about Michael. I sat up quickly to leave making me sit back down because of the bad head spin I got.

"You get used to it" I heard Stars voice beside me as she grabbed my arm to help me stand up. "The headaches, head spins, vomiting. The sick feeling in general becomes manageable" She continued as she linked arms with me and we started walking to the outside of the cave. I made eye contact with Paul as he turned around on the cliff steps to check on me, and then smiled when he saw me okay with Star.

"I don't know if I want to avoid it anymore. I think I want to become one of them" I smiled to myself.

Stars arm that is linked through mine became still and tensed once she heard what I said. "You do realise everything you would be giving up, an actual life" She said trying to make me rethink my choice.

"If I choose to stay with Paul I will still have a life, an endless one with the one I love filled with adventures. Being almost unstoppable as a supernatural being that no one even thinks actually exists. Most people would kill for that, it sounds like something right out of a movie. This life is better than any life I could ever have as a human"

Star was quiet; neither of us said anything as we made it to the top of the uneven wooden steps. The boys were ahead and already getting onto their bikes; I unlinked arms and turned to face her.

"If it wasn't for David being attached to you; if he wasn't abusing and harassing you, If David wasn't here at all; would you be happy with this life?"

She didn't say anything for the moment, just looked at the cliff edge behind me.

"Yes I would want this life" She breathed out quietly.

"Then please don't try and talk me out of my choice, this is what I want"

She nodded and walked to David's bike, I followed her and went to Paul.

"I'm ready to become one of you. Completely one of you." I whispered in his ear as I got onto his bike.