A Gladiator's Duel

Regardless of how sour today started, breakfast was quite sweet.

The beautiful combination of wheat flour, olive oil, honey, and curdled milk had formed flat discs of wonderfulness, with an apple on the side to boost the good stuff. The taste was divine, as the cake seemed to dissolve right on contact; a beautiful dish. All of this sounded lovely, yet, I couldn't help but not enjoy such a well-made breakfast.

I wonder why?

"Could you pass a glass?" The witch requested, her sickly fingers hovering over my empty plate rudely. "I would love to..." I dragged the words as long as possible, hoping to portray the awkwardness. I handed her the glass, which she sipped in bliss: feigning ignorance to the uncomfortable ambiance surrounding her.

Instead of explaining why she arrived, she informed us that breakfast had 'skipped her mind,' stating that she would dine with us this 'fine morning.'

"As much as we enjoyed your visit." I hesitated; realization struck that I never got her name. "You mind explaining why you decided to drop in?"

June, Oliver, Ralph; heck, even the caretaker ate like the meal was a plate of sand. Their foreheads were drenched in sweat, while their skin seemed to drop a shade paler. Ralph set his eyes on me, his red orbs staring into my soul, shooting daggers of frustration; I rolled my eyes in response to all the negative emotions I felt toward this woman; fear could never be one of them.

"Aww, you're not enjoying my wonderful company?" She threw a question in response, her voice happy with the predicament we were all in.

Before I could respond, Maya threw a kick under the table, causing a groan to ooze instantly. "Is everything alright?" The witch questioned, her face perplexed as to my reaction. Once glance at Maya was enough to send a message. 'Be smart about your words.'

'Ugh, she packs a punch.' I thought to myself.

"Just peachy." I groaned before thinking about what to say. "Of course, we're grateful for your presence, just curious as to what we owe the pleasure?" I said, speaking through gritted teeth. 'Calm thyself,' I thought, 'For the sake of everyone else.'

"Hmmm," She dropped her utensils, her right hand stroking her chin, "Apart from wanting to spend some quality time: there is something else I ought to mention." A sigh followed her statement before abruptly rising from her chair, startling everyone: to say the least.

"When the sun reaches its apex, June and Jason will come with me." I sat there, stunned by the news I received. I turned to ask the others, but everyone else seemed worse for wear. There was a collective fear as they held their heads low like they had heard a death warrant. June, in question, sat with her hands in her hair, a crestfallen look present; the rest looked not far off. "I thought we had an extra day?" Maya questioned, her voice for once not coming off as strong but somewhat worried. "I thought so too, Maya. Alas, things change; such is life." Her tone was hollow, as she had her eyes set on elsewhere.

Silence ensued as everyone quietly sat where they were, shell-shocked.

"Anyways, thank you for a nice meal as always, Kate, and for the rest; I'll see you all in a bit." She announced; before calmly striding towards the door, still wearing her black dress. "Jason and June, prepare adequately."

"...and she's gone." The comment rolled off my tongue as I turned my sights from the door towards the rest, "So, June, where are we heading exactly?" I questioned.

"Thought we had an extra day." She commented to herself, ignoring my question in its entirety. "Alright then...so your name is Kate?" I asked the caretaker, who in turn sighed in response. "Focus on the task at hand, will you?" She responded, irritation present in her speech.