CH 1.2 And Thus Begins The Lesson

The guards led them into the massive, squat red-and-grey stone building. The lobby was spacious and the tiled floor trailed off in several hallways. An attendant jumped up from the lobby desk and hurried over to them. He was a chameleon type, with a gentle face and quiet smile. If he was disturbed by the presence of a human, he showed no sign of it.

"They're guests of the Council President," one of the guards said. "Dr. Glick is to study the mammal."

"I have a name," Alex said more with resignation than irritation, resisting the urge to draw her Guardian sword for inspection.

"Of course you do," the attendant said smoothly. "I'm Hilto. And your names?"

"I'm Alex," she said. "This is Gabe, Cale and Rile. We're Guardians Called to your world to help."

Gabe glowered at Alex, Cale clacked his claws in anxiety, but Rile grinned.

"You just insulted our fearless leader by introducing him," Rile whispered into Alex's ear. "Introductions are his job."

"They are guests of the Council President and are to be housed as suits rescuers of his status." The green Iguana guard nodded to Alex and the brothers. "They call themselves Guardians and consider themselves on a mission here."

The attendant cleared his throat. "I would love to hear all about it some time. For now, do you wish to be quartered together or separately? Do you require one bed so you may sleep together?"

"No!" Alex gasped and all color drained from her face. "I never sleep with them! I mean, next to, sometimes, when one is sick or cold ..." Her voice trailed off and she looked down in shock at her wrist, where Gabe's claws indented her skin.

Rile flushed a deep angry red at Gabe's actions and Cale clacked his claws faster. The guards exchanged amused glances.

"Of course, of course," Hilto soothed, although his color turned a distressed blue. "I meant no insult, no inference of inappropriate sexual activity."

"No sex!" Alex squeaked and bit her lip when Gabe's claws dug deeper.

"The Anolis, as well as other species, have a group bed concept, but it was rude of me to infer," Hilto continued. "Please forgive me."

"Nothing to forgive," Gabe replied. "My team and I would like to be quartered together, but with separate sleeping arrangements."

Hilto snapped his fingers. "I have just the accommodation. It has four sleeping chambers that share a living and dining area. There is a common sand bath with a Necessary, if that is acceptable, ah, commander?"

"Team leader," Gabe replied. "That will serve us well."

"Please, we're tired from our travel and mission," Cale said, ever polite, but his gaze anxiously returned to Alex's wrist. "May we see our rooms now?"

Hilto bowed. "Please, follow me."

As soon as his back was turned, Rile clamped onto Gabe's hand that was digging into Alex's wrist. They exchanged angry hisses, but stopped when Hilto turned his head to look at them. Gabe dropped Alex's wrist and she rubbed it, gazing around the corridor instead of the brothers. The Komodo dragon guards surrounded them at a discrete distance, keeping watch, and checking the corridor ahead.

The corridor was decorated with paintings and the marble floors gleamed. Nooks were scattered about the hallway, with wooden carvings or marble statues of various species of reptiles stashed inside. Hilto stopped before an impressively carved nine foot wooden door. Reptiles, birds, and flowers intertwined throughout the panels of the door. Hilto opened it with its large brass handle shaped like a Komodo dragon, but two of the guards pushed past him. They investigated the quarters, opening the bedroom doors and the door to the sand bath before declaring it clear. Hilto motioned to Alex and the brothers to enter.