CH. 5.1 New Mate?

Alex carefully shortened her stride to match Razz's smaller frame, and they made their way out of the throne room. Sunlight glinted off the metal armor of a Chameleon guard who waved them over to a waiting carriage. She nodded reassuringly to the guard as he helped Razz into the carriage.

Razz huddled close to her in the plush interior, trembling, and Alex tried not to think about what horrors he had been through. Gently, she ran her fingertips along his neck and felt the links of a metallic collar embedded with scabs and pus. At the touch, Razz whimpered, but Alex sent soothing energy through her fingertips until he was comforted. 

Once at the Institute, two Chameleon guards escorted Alex into the lobby, their scaled tails dragging behind them. She saw Hilto across the room and waved. The Chameleon brightened to a surprised orange hue and hurried over to them.

"My friend here needs a healer," Alex said, gesturing towards Razz's small, battered body. "And the collar needs to be cut off."

Hilto scratched two notes onto a worn piece of parchment with a quill pen. He paused, looking thoughtful, before adding "A healer and a metal-worker. Do you wish the metal-worker to bring a different type of metal for a new collar?"

Alex threw her arms up, her eyes blazing. "What? No! No more collars!"

Razz jerked at the sudden movement and whimpered in fear.

"Aw, Razz, I'm so sorry to scare you." Alex's expression softened, and her eyes grew warm with compassion.

She held out his hands palm up, and after a moment of hesitation, Razz placed his hands in hers. Alex's touch was gentle, but firm as she enveloped his hands in her warmth. His gaze searched her face before Alex spoke to in a soft voice: "Please send food appropriate for an injured Anolis male."

Hilto's color flowed into a warm green. "Excellent, Guardian. I will send the notes to both with utmost urgency and bring the food myself."

He scribbled a third note as Alex walked Razz to her rooms. It read: Zilik, the Guardian has freed an Anolis male and will not re-collar him.

Alex and Razz followed the Chameleon guards down the silent corridors. The soft echoes of their footsteps bounced off the polished marble statues that lined either side of the hallway. After what seemed like an eternity, they finally arrived at the tall, ornately carved doors of Alex's quarters. One guard stepped forward and opened it slowly, peering inside before motioning for them to enter.

Razz raised an eye-ridge as the two uniformed guards took their places outside the door when he entered with Alex. "You must be important to have guards," he said. "Or dangerous. Or both."

Alex shrugged, her manner casual, even though her gaze darted across the room. "Not important. I wish I were more dangerous."

She looked up at Razz and smiled, but there was a hint of desperation in the curve of her lips. "Razz, what do I do with you now?"

The door flew open and the trio of Gabe, Rile, and Cale tumbled in, their fast-paced conversation abruptly silenced when they saw Razz.

Rile's eye-ridge arched as he asked, "Who's this?"

Razz stepped forward with a beaming smile. "I am Alex's new mate," he said with pride, making Alex flinch inwardly with embarrassment.

I want to sink into the ground. 

Gabe's nostrils flared as he clenched his jaw. "Explain at once," he barked.

Rile leaned back against the wall, amusement etched into every inch of his face. "This should be good," he said with a smirk.