CHAPTER 14

'yeah, I'll have a hot chocolate.' I said, keeping the menu down.

'hot chocolate for the lady,' Manav said and flipped through the menu 'I'll have a cold coffee with chocolate cookies.' I smiled that he still likes cookies.

'so,' I began 'between the talk, I forgot to ask you about what do you do!'

'have you heard about the company 'ambience'?' he asked, resting his arms on his chest.

'yeah. It is known for its designing team, right? It designed the covers for panache and the designs went crazy over the market.' I asked

'Yup. And guess who's the head editor?' he asked.

'You?' I ask, getting shocked.

'Mhm. You got it right.' He said with a smile

'Wow, that's big, actually.' I say.

'Not really.' He said 'too much work, man! Most of the days I'm sleep deprived!'

'Yeah. The dark circles below your eyes said it long before you did.' I said. 'But, the number of zeroes in your bank account are your reward for such hard work.'

'Oh, you already have your eye on my zeroes?' he asked, as he smiled.

'I always do.' I said and smiled back 'in school I used to look at zeroes in your tests and now, in your account!'

'yeah sure. Why not? You always pushed me so much Aarushi! It means a lot when I think about it today.' He said

'aree no man! Nothing like that. we both had our backs. You supported me during my family and mom issues and I supported during your tests. And I think if we had not separated, we still would've made a great pair.' I said.

'you think so?' his smile broadens.

'don't you think so?' I ask back. Before he can reply, his phone buzzes.

'one second.' He said and picked up his phone. He intendly typed something and then asked 'Aarushi, will you mind if I make a call?'

'not at all. Please go on.' I said

He makes a call and while it is not answered, he says 'it'll take a minute, I promise.'

'please, go on. It's fine.' I say. I am surprised to see the gentleman he has turned into. In school, he was one of the naughtiest people in class, without any seriousness or responsibilities! And look at him now, he's so changed.

'yeah, manish? I just received the changes..I'll mail them tomorrow...no, tell him not to take any leaves....not even for half a day, okay?...and please, no further calls, I am a little busy....' He said and hung up.

'yeah.. sorry, where were we?' he asked keeping his phone in his pocket.

'nothing important.' I said 'By the way, does your girlfriend know you're with me?' I ask him.

'oh yeah! I had to take her out on a dinner you see! But I'm gonna ditch her, JUST FOR YOU. and all the love notes and roses you will send to my address, I'll use them to convince her. sounds like a plan?' he mocks.

I laugh at that 'so you do have a girlfriend?' I ask

'yeah, her name is rubbie. She literally owns my house.' He said

'oh, for real?'

'yup. And she's very possessive for me! When I get home, I have to hug her, and stay with her for a while, only then, I can go further with my routine.' He said, removing his suit.

'woah! Can I see her picture?' I asked. Not that I didn't expect him to have a girlfriend but still, it hit me.

'sure, one second.' He said and unlocked his phone. Within a minute, the screen was turned to my side and I could see a cute picture of Manav with a cute small dog. I smiled. He had held her up in the air and she had extended her paws towards Manav's face, and it looked as if she was all set for a hug.