CHAPTER 19

manav cradled her head and body while she peacefully sat and ate from her bowl, giving me quick glances in between. manav was so caring, i swear. he took so much care of rubbie that i myself wanted someone to take my care in a similar way. he sat with her while she ate, nodded when she looked at him, as if understanding every bit of it, and side by side kept his tiffin food on microwave for both of us. i can't believe he was the same person who once hated dogs. once rubbie finished off her meal, she went to manav's room.

'she'll sleep now, and we'll eat peacefully.' he sighed and went to wash his hands in the sink.

'i must say, you're a great pet parent. i loved the way you treated her despite of a long day.' i complimented him.

'stop aarushi,' he said 'you know compliments still get a blush on my face!' he smiled widely. i laughed and said 'then blush, i already know you!'

he said 'i'll just change and come!' and quickly left off from the scene. when the door opened, i saw him in a light blue t-shirt and a loose printed track.

'i'll get the food.' he went into the kitchen and got two plates. pink sauce pasta with garlic bread- perfect!

'oh, thank you so much.' i said and smiled

'so aarushi, tell me, how did you get the idea of dinner today?' he asked stuffing his fork into one of the pastas.

'nothing, just like that' i lied 'just wanted to meet someone, you know.'

'aha! great choice of people!' he winked

'your house is really nice. you must be hanging out with your friends quite often na?' i asked

'not really, you know. i have become a very private person now. the more you grow, you realise that we need to cut off the people who are toxic or just don't fit in to the definition of good people. i have a lot of acquaintances, but if you ask about friends, like the real ones, i just have three - saurabh, rishi and ahaan. and now you too!' he said. that brought a smile on my face.

'i totally agree with you, i mean, even during my MBBS, i met a lot of people, and they were really fun to be with, and i was having a great time with them, but then after certain point i realized that they are just with me when i am good and happy, none of them were with me when i was low. at that time, there were only two people who would always be on my dial list - nidhi and varun. sometimes i used to call ma but then she used to take a lot of stress so i avoided calling her.. but nidhi and varun, especially varun, they were complete angels to me!' i said.

there was silence for sometime. manav looked at me with sympathetic eyes and then finally said 'aarushi, i know what you're dealing with is very very tough. having the most trusted person gone from your life could be one of the biggest heartbreaks one could experience. and i am sure that varun too must be having a tough time coping with his life. and i am sorry to hear about this. if at all i could do anything for you, do let me know.' he said

'thanks...manav. you'realready helping me by giving your time' i said 'by the way, the pasta is delicious!'

'oh thanks! i'll pass on the compliment to safeena when she comes to pick up the tiffin tomorrow.' he said

'oh, you don't know how to cook?' i asked

'i mean, i can cook some items, but you know it gets a little tough to manage work and kitchen. so i have to stick to tiffin service till i find a girl who can cook!' he winked

'ohh... do you want me to set you? with one of my friends?' i asked

'are they as good as you?' he asked

'in cooking? no, i'm horrible at cooking, i am sure they're better.'

'no, not cooking, in general, are they better than you?' he asked