CHAPTER 18

2 DAYS LATER

i woke up with sunlight falling on my face. the first thing i saw after getting up was clock. it was 7:45 in the morning and my head felt heavy, like someone had replaced my brain with a heavy 20 kg stone. i managed to get up, and rub my eyes. i went to the bathroom and looked into the mirror.

no doubt why my face looked so pale every morning, because my night routine was always just so much disturbing. past 2-3 nights, actually, almost every night, i used to cry before sleeping. because the loneliness hit me every time. every. single. freaking. time. i don't know how to get out of this so i keep going in the loop, thinking i might come out of it some day. every day when i come home, it is empty. noone to ask me how was my day, or ask me for a cup of tea. and that's when i feel like, calling varun up, and telling him and when you are alone, the thoughts which you tried to ignore when you were busy; come up suddenly, making more sense and hitting you ten times more.

but all i knew was - i will NOT give up.

i applied paste on my toothbrush and inserted it in my mouth. i don't know about you but i swear i notice so many facial features of mine when i look into the mirror. and if ever someone gave me any compliment, i remember it and try to match it if it really is true. i always plan the day in my mind when i brush. today was none different. i quickly came out of my bathroom, gazed at the calendar and noted the date. once i brushed, i came out and took my phone. i messaged manav:

'hey. good morning! are you free today? for dinner?'

the single tick turned to double ticks and i kept the phone on table. i went to kitchen and prepared myself a cup of tea. while it was boiling i heard a notification, immediately follow by one more and i smiled, because it was from manav.

i unlocked my phone and looked at the messages.

'hey, good morning.

sure, i'm free.' he texted back

i typed 'good! my shift is a little longer today, so can we keep it after 9:30?'

he texted 'sure. even i have a meeting till 9:15 or it might take a little longer. so let's keep it at 9:45? if that works.'

i said 'sure sure. works for me. you decide the venue!'

i saw typing under his name but then he paused. maybe he took some time to think. then after sometime he texted 'oh, you're giving me a big responsibility! 😁 okay, i'll come to pick you up after your shift hours. i'll be outside the gate where we were last time.'

i replied 'but where are we going?'

he said 'to my favorite place in the world. my comfort place. don't think much, it will be fun, i promise! cool?'

i said 'okay, okay. fine, done!! see you. bye.'

'sure. pick you up at 9:30. see you, bye.' he replied and i smiled. i was all set for his surprise!

*********************************

'hey' he said as he saw me open the car door.

'hello!' i said and adjusted on the seat beside him.

'so, long day?' he asked. i noticed his outfit, he was wearing a navy blue suit with a white shirt and a pant of a similar blue shade. his hair was as always awesome.

'yeah man...i had so many OPDs today!' i said and sighed

'yeah you look pretty much tired though..' he said

'yeah, forget it.' i said 'how was your day?'

'ahh, just the same old routine. work, work, work.' he said

'but this is the age to work though!' i said

'exactly. i don't want my children to be deprived of any of the necessities! i want to be hell-a-rich!' he said

'oh, so you've already planned about all this? kids and stuff?' i asked

'i mean, yeah! of course, some day i would want kids, right?' he asked

'i appreciate your clarity. right now all i could think of is like, wake up tomorrow!' i said

'oh, so haven't you planned anything? like marriage or settling or work for that matter!' he asked

'about work, i'm happy over here. i have a well paying job so no plans of quitting. and about marriage, i don't know. i would've got married if varun didn't have to go for new york. but now, i don't know.' i said

'ohh, i see.' he said 'do you talk to him?'

'We did talk a few days ago, but it was more like an argument so..' i paused.

'Ohh...' he replied

'what about you?' i asked 'arrange marriage or finding the one ?'

'ahh, nothing about marriage yet, rubbie must get upset if i talk about loving someone else' he smiled 'but yeah, i also have not plans of quitting my job, or leaving india.'

'good, how's rubbie?' i said and the car stopped. i looked around and saw 'saanjh apartments.'

'woah, aarushi! you asked the question at the right time. come with me, i'll show you!' he said and got down from the car.

'so is this your plan?' i ask, getting his idea of today's dinner at his place. i adjusted my bag.

'yup. i thought rubbie should meet you.' he winked 'come.'

i smiled and entered his apartment. they were pretty much between the normal ones and the luxurious ones. we got into the lift and got on the second floor.

he went to the house 101 and rang the bell. 'one second, i'll just pick rubbie.' he said

'yeah, i would love to meet her.' i said and smiled.

within a minute the door opened. an old lady, in her seventies, opened the door, with a cute little dog in her hands. rubbie noticed manav but before she could rush to him, she looked at me, rather scanned me from top to bottom, and her expressions were clear enough that she was looking at some unknown face.

'Ahh, who is this cutie pie?' I said in a baby voice and touched her head, she dogded!

'come baby!' manav said and took it from the lady's hands. rubbie was out of control and she kept running her paws, signaling manav to hug her and give her a kiss.

'come baby, come!!' manav said and took her in his arms. she was peaceful once manav hugged her and laid her on his shoulder. she shut her eyes, as if enjoying the moment.

the lady looked at me asked manav 'girlfriend?'

he laughed and said 'no no. just a friend. her name is aarushi. we were together in school.'

'ohh...nice to meet you aarushi.' she said

'yes, pleasure on mine.' i said and smiled.

i looked at manav and then at rubbie. she was really cute though.

'we'll go upstairs. my house is on the third floor.' he said and opened the lift, carrying rubbie who was still on his shoulder.

i couldn't help but aww. once we reached, i opened the lift door and rubbie was startled by the noise. she looked at me again and manav laughed a little.

'see who came to meet you- my naughty little rubbie' he said 'aarushi!' he raised her paw towards me and i shook my hand with her paw and cradled her head.

'could you hold her for a minute? i'll open the door.' he said and handed over her to me. i picked her and looked at her. she was continuously looking at me, as if processing my face.

'welcome!!' manav said and i entered his house with rubbie in my arms.