The call

////I will be posting chapters until June 10th. Also, HAPPY PRIDE MONTH! If you have any suggestions, feel free to comment! ////

Emma's pov

As I'm sleeping I feel someone shake me awake. Reluctantly I opened my eyes. I look up to see Mia's eyes filled with panic. "What's wrong?" I was worried and a little annoyed.

"They're on the phone," she whispered and pointed to her phone on the other bed. I looked at her annoyed.

"Who?" I tried to sound concerned.

"The scientist," I jumped out of my bed. "What do I do?" She looked at me scared.

"Put it on speaker and play along with them," i picked up her phone, "Don't give them any reason to suspect anything." She took her phone. We nodded at each other then pressed unmute. The person on the other side seemed busy. There was too much background noise to focus on one thing. After 3 minutes everything went silent and we looked at each other worried.

"Mia are you there," A man's voice called. Mia took a deep breath with her eyes closed

"Hey Jay, what's up," Mia responded, calmer than I ever could.

"Did you get them," Jay asked.

"Not yet," we heard a frustrated sigh come through the phone,

"What's taking so long," He sounded frustrated. Mia looked at me but i had no idea what to say

"Would you like to do my job," she said sarcastically, "They're harder to catch than you think but don't worry I have them right where I want them." I looked at her and we smirk at each other

"Get them fast," Mia lets out a loud sigh.

"Can I speak to Jake?"

"2 minutes," we both breathed out in relief that he agreed. We hear movement rather than a groan.

"Hello," a boys weak voice came through

"Hey, are you okay? Are you alone?" Mia starts to get emotional

"I'm alright and yeah i'm alone," I look at Mia trying to figure out what she was going to say next.

"I'm going to save you and we won't have to deal with those monsters," She sounded proud as she spoke.

"What's the change of heart?" Even though we couldn't see him we knew he was smiling. Mia looked at me, not sure what to say. I didn't know what to tell her so I just shrugged my shoulders.

"I made a friend," She gives me with a warm smile, "A really good one." We heard his laugh then it went silent. Mia looks at the phone so intensely that if she had laser eyes the phone would be toast. "Jake," she says in an almost whisper.

"Get them and you can talk to him again," We hear the man from earlier voices. I feel sorry for her. She had to go through this for years. She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath.

"Of course Jay man, see you soon," If i wasn't right next to her i would have thought she was completely fine. She hangs up the phone and puts her head in her hands. I look over at the time to see 3:00am. Who is up at this time. I think to myself.

I grab Mia and rest her head on my chest. She cries into my chest as I rub her back. I feel her tears stain my shirt as she holds on to me for dear life. My eyes start to water when I imagine all the things she was put through. Her grip on my shirt starts to loosen and her breathing slows down. When I realize she's falling asleep I rock her back and forth. My eyes feel heavy, and my head starts to lean back. Soon we're both knocked out on the bed.