CHAPTER 23

"Floating candles, dim lights, pumpkin decorations, waiters in skeleton costumes and Mozart's most spookiest and depressing music for the orchestra," Lucian said, reading out a  few points jotted on Aurora's sketchbook.

"We'll have fake cobwebs streaming from the ceilings, and fake spiders in the punch," Eric said dreamily.

"And have Halloween-y food," Elanor added.

"Can we make it inclusive for the Mentors as well? They work super hard, and never attend the parties," Adelaide said.

"You read my mind," Aurora said.

"Do we make them all wear a particular costume or-?" Kate asked, trailing off.

"No," Aurora decided. "Let them have fun. If they're all in the same costume, they're going to feel the compulsive need to do work".

"Good point," Kate agreed.

"What's the general costume theme, then? Masquerade?" Eric asked.

"No... That's too cliché," Adelaide said.

They brainstormed for a few minutes to no avail, before giving up, and falling to the ground.

The seven of them were now often seen together near the gazebo everyday. Since the girls didn't have etiquette and dancing lessons any more, they didn't have much to do. It was quite fun - they all got along famously, and they never seemed to realize how much time seemed to pass, till someone called for them.

"How about a murder mystery like theme?" Eric asked.

"No... We did that two years ago," Lucian said.

"I thought you would like that theme," Eric said, looking at his cousin in surprise.

"And why is that so?" Aurora asked.

"Well, most people don't realize that just because I'm a prince, it doesn't mean that I don't have an advanced degree in any subject," Lucian said slowly. "And I have extensively studied criminal psychology".

"Top of the class, gold medallist," Eric said proudly, thumping his cousin's back.

"Huh," Adelaide said. "I didn't take you for the studying type".

"No one does," Lucian said sorrowfully, and they all laughed as they saw his expression.

"Got it!" Kate said, sitting up. "We can do a literature based costume party!".

"Meaning?" Adelaide asked.

"Meaning, we can dress up as any character from any book!" Aurora said, catching up on the idea.

"Brilliant!" Lucian exclaimed, plucking a rose from a nearby bush and handing it over to Kate. "For you, M'Lady".

Kate blushed and pinned the rose to her hair.

"I get dibs on the Mad Hatter!" Eric said.

"Okay, we have the theme done," Adelaide said, still all business. "But we need more entertainment".

"Pumpkin carving and apple bobbing sound nice," Elodie suggested.

"Brilliant," Aurora said, kissing her cheek loudly. "We can even trick or treat - there'll be clues leading to clues which the guards and maids will have. They'll instruct them on where to go to get the prize!".

"The more games they win, the more points they get!" Adelaide continued.

"That's good, but do you think a few hundred rich people used to the elegance and sophistication of balls are going to play games?" Lucian pointed out, and Aurora had to accept that he made a good point.