16 - SAD MAFIA LOVE

One year had passed since Adaline severed ties with her long-term mafia flame, Addam. The allure of his dangerous lifestyle faded, prompting her to escape, embracing a fresh identity with a new name and a job in a quaint restaurant.

*****

As Eva concluded her shift, the glow of the small restaurant still lingered on her face during her walk home. The familiar jingle of her keys led her to a peculiar sight – her door unlocked. A creeping sense of unease set in; she vividly recalled securing it before leaving.

The living room revealed an unexpected scene. Addam, the ghost from Adaline's past, lounged on her sofa, shirt partially unbuttoned. With a sip of an unidentified drink, he acknowledged Eva's presence, saying, ''Long time no see, Eva... Or should I say Adaline, my love.''

''Wha--what are you doing here?'' Adaline, now Eva, stammered.

Addam, rising and striding toward her, whispered seductively, ''I'm here to bring you back home, love.''

His words rendered Eva motionless. In a gentle embrace, he declared, ''We'll go back home.''

Adaline, feeling the weight of unwanted nostalgia, panicked. Her whispered confession reached his ears as she hugged him, ''I love you, but I can't go back home.''