New School

"Well Mr. Afterglow. I've been told that you are quite the powerful fighter aren't you?" A man named Professor Ozpin was talking to me about joining his school. "No need to beat around the bush Ozpin, what do you want with me?" I retort. "I'm not really looking to be buttered up." "Oh I see. Well, to be honest, I'd like you to join me and my students at Beacon Academy. It's a great school and I believe your talents would work well at Beacon." I smile at him with a bit of surprise, this might be the break I was looking for! "Yes, yes! I accept!" I reply enthusiastically, not expecting this situation.

Ozpin sits up and nods politely to me. "Good, wonderful. Well, my friend. Your ship leaves tomorrow." I nod and bow politely. I run back to the orphanage and start packing the little possessions I have. 

"Someone's excited." I hear, and a bit of confusion hits me. It's the owner of the orphanage, Laves. "What happened to you? You're almost never even slightly happy, but all the sudden you are walking around with a beaming smile on your face. That happy to get out of here huh?" I freeze up at her words. The owner was never really a harsh lady, actually one of the only people who would be willing to talk to me. "Seems like I was right on the money. Did you get adopted?"
"No, but you know Beacon academy?" Laves looks at me like I have two heads. "Beacon, that's all the way in Vale. Plenty of miles from here, what about it?" I smile earnestly "The headmaster, Ozpin, came to talk to me today! He said he wanted me in!" Laves changes from a look of shock to a look of undeniable joy for me "I'm happy for you! Your skills are finally being noticed! But... One issue, didn't you not go to combat school?"

My smile drops quickly "Maybe he made an exception for me. I don't know why though." My semblance, Moonless, is the reason. It was hereditary to my family, and since I am the only part of my family that remains, I'm the only person that still has it. "Well, either way, it's still cool to be invited." Levas replied, seeing my smile drop. "Good luck out there Grey, I know you'll do great!"

I walk up to my bedroom and get prepared to sleep. I know I'm not much of anything but a liability to anyone... All I'm wanted is for testing. How did Ozpin figure out about my semblance? That's the only question I want answered right now. I close my eyes, resting them. And I drift off for sleep.

Timeskip 

I am at Beacon! A school that's oddly reminiscent of certain anime high schools actually. Like, a school for training to defend the world! That's kind of cool right. And being able to go to one of the best ones too!

I eventually collect my stuff out of the airship and walk outside. Ahh... Fresh air. I see a bunch of cool weapons and such, but nothing interests me more than the yellow haired girl and the shorter red haired girl beside her.

"See, a boy is approaching right now! You can talk to him to make friends" The yellow haired girl extrovertedly shouts. "What?! No! I can't do this without any assistance! Y-Yang!" The red head pleaded, but Yang seemed to already be gone. "H-h-hey? D-do you know where the dorms are yet? Or are we supposed to figure that out?" I ask the red haired girl, hoping she'd have the slightest bit of understanding on the situation we are in. "Nope... I'm just trying to do the exact same. Initiation is in a few minutes though, maybe everything will be explained there?" "Sure... What's your name by the way?" I reply, hoping to get a name before and maybe a person to call a friend. Remember. Open mind! "Ruby. Ruby Rose... What's yours" I smile politely. "Gray Afterglow." I reply earnestly. Hoping to come off as friendly. "Isn't that kind of an oxymoron?" "Yes. It is" 

We keep walking for a few minutes, just chatting about whatever, before Ruby trips over a cart being pushed by a short, petite girl with white hair. "Ugh, watch where you are going! Do you know how much damage you could have caused" "S-s-sorry" I say as I frantically grab one of the cases and try and hand her it, before she pulls it out of my hand. "Gimme that! This is dust! Mined and purified from the Schnee quarry!" "Uhh" Ruby looks very intimidated, to be fair, I'd be too in that situation. I just don't know what to say. "H-hey... Leave her alone. It's a simple mistake! A potentially dangerous one but a simple mistake!" I blurt out, just trying to calm the storm as much as possible. "Uh. Dust is not just a toy you know! This stuff can hurt people! Its a manifestation of many different types of energy at once!" Geez, this girl knows how to run her mouth.