chapter 5

snakepaw

~~~

THE DAY COULD NOT BE MORE PERFECT. It was the peak of greenleaf. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, and the sky was a brilliant shade of blue.

Snakekit and Viperkit stood outside the nursery, cleaning their pelts with great care. Normally, the toms wouldn't care, but today was special. It was their apprentice ceremony, and they had to look their best.

"I wonder who I'm going to get as a mentor," Viperkit wondered aloud. 

Snakekit smirked to himself, remembering what Foxstorm had said to him on the day of the Carrionplace. If Foxstorm thought his actions were brave, then there's no reason for anyone else to have an issue with it.

And that was why he was so iffy that day after Featherflight's scolding, causing the big argument with Mintkit.

Speaking of which, the gray she-kit had become cold and distant from her brothers. She hardly spoke to them anymore, and even moved from their shared nest to her own. If he was being honest, Snakekit missed her snappy remarks, but there was no way he was going to admit that.

From the corner of his eye, he spotted Ivorystar leaping up onto the Clanrock, raising her head and releasing a loud yowl.

Excitement beat in his chest. It was starting.

"Let all cats of ShadowClan gather around this Clanrock for an Apprentice Ceremony!"

The two brothers scrambled to the Clanrock eagerly as Mintkit appeared from the nursery and followed more slowly. It was only moments before the entirety of ShadowClan had arrived, spotting their friends and quickly finding a seat.

"Snakekit, Viperkit, Mintkit, can you step forward, please?" Ivorystar requested. The three littermates sped to the edge of the Clanrock and sat proudly in front of their Clanmates.

"Snakekit," Ivorystar began, "you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Snakepaw." She didn't waste time looking around the crowd for a mentor. "Your mentor will be Foxstorm. He is a very talented warrior, and I hope Foxstorm will pass down all he knows on to you."

"I will," Foxstorm vowed, stepping forward and tapping noses with Snakepaw.

Ivorystar moved on to Viperkit, giving him the name Viperpaw and assigning him to Sandstrike. 

"Mintkit," the ShadowClan leader meowed, "you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. Your mentor shall be Clearfrost."

Viperpaw stiffened with shock beside Snakepaw, shooting his sister a puzzled look. "I thought you didn't want to be a medicine cat?" he whispered.

"Be quiet," the gray tabby hissed back. "Don't talk while the leader's performing the ceremony."

Ivorystar finished up her speech, and Mintpaw hopped forward to tap noses with Clearfrost.

"Snakepaw! Viperpaw! Mintpaw!" the Clan erupted in cheers, and Snakepaw puffed out his chest. It felt good to be recognized and appreciated, especially since Clearfrost never spared him any time out of her day.

Frozenkit was the first to greet them as soon as the ceremony concluded. "Congratulations!" she mewed cheerfully. Her white fur was practically beaming under the sunlight, and her amber eyes had turned into a beautiful shade of gold.

"Thanks," Snakepaw replied, swishing his tail. "I can't wait to learn how to fight and hunt."

"I'm sure you'll do a great job," Frozenkit offered, before turning to his sister. "Especially you, Mintpaw! I'm certain you'll make a great medicine cat."