epilogue

tansy

~~~

"RAINSTAR, THIS IS RIDICULOUS." 

The RiverClan leader flicked her tail irritably. "Poolmist, keep your voice down."

Poolmist sent a glare in her leader's direction as she padded along. The two were in a marshland, making their way slowly but surely to WindClan's camp, to meet with Swiftstar and Whiteberry. With Rainstar's limp and Poolmist's old bones, their walking speeds matched almost perfectly.

"Nobody's going to hear us," Poolmist grumbled. "All the cats are at camp or on the attack patrol."

"You never know," Rainstar answered darkly.

Perhaps they should've taken some guards with them. But, with the attack patrol and guarding camp, there weren't many warriors to spare. Plus, being alone gave Poolmist a chance to give Rainstar a piece of her mind without Splashfoot's interference.

"I've been a medicine cat since you were born," Poolmist meowed lowly. "I helped my mentor to deliver you, in fact. I think I've gathered enough experience and trust over the years to ask that you tell me the Great Secret."

Rainstar faltered. "I can't."

Poolmist lashed her tail. "And why is that? Leaders have advisors for a reason, you know. Both Splashfoot and I, plus Cherrylight and Whiteberry, deserve to know. It isn't fair for you and Swiftstar to keep something as big as this to yourselves."

"You'll just need to trust me," Rainstar replied. "Trust that I won't destroy the Clan. I wouldn't do that, you know I wouldn't."

"Do I?" Poolmist challenged. "We are in a war, after all. I don't think it's fair of you and Swiftstar to ask Whiteberry and I to pretend we know the prophecy, whereas Ivorystar and Tigerstar tell the prophecy to their medicine cats!"

"Clearfrost only knows the prophecy because she was the one to receive it," Rainstar snapped, "and I don't believe for a second Ivorystar told Tigerstar the real prophecy. Probably some fake version."

"Like you did with Swiftstar?" Poolmist asked coldly. Seeing Rainstar's reaction, she knew she was correct; the RiverClan leader had kept the prophecy solely to herself. "You and Ivorystar really are similar."

Rainstar twitched her pelt angrily. "Fine. You want to know the prophecy, here it is: The Great War is upon us, all four Clans involved. The future of the Clans belong to the war, doom or prosperity."

Poolmist paused, before letting out a cold laugh. "Nice try, but that's a horrible fake prophecy. Is that what you told Swiftstar? I can't believe he bought it."

Rainstar growled. "I don't know what you want from me, Poolmist."

"I want the real prophecy," Poolmist meowed firmly. "You know, I think Clearfrost's figured Whiteberry and I out. She's always had a sharp mind, good at reading cats. I feel quite certain she knows that we have no idea what the Great Secret is."

Rainstar shook her head, and her medicine cat hissed in frustration.

"I stand by what I said before. You and Ivorystar really are two streams that run into the same lake. For how badly you guys want to keep the prophecy a secret, it's really a surprise to me how you found out at all. You said Clearfrost received the prophecy, right? Why would ShadowClan ever tell you what the Great Secret is, unless-" Poolmist broke off, eyes wide. "No way."

Rainstar nodded dryly. "So you've figured it out."

Poolmist narrowed her eyes. "I just don't understand. How-?"