chapter 10

mintpaw

~~~

WHEN MINTPAW OPENED HER EYES AGAIN, she found herself in ShadowClan's territory. It didn't take her long to identify where she was.

The Burnt Sycamore, she recognized, staring at the blackened tree. But why...?

"Mintpaw." A familiar voice came from behind the gray tabby, and Mintpaw quickly spun around, spotting Clearfrost.

"Clearfrost," Mintpaw greeted, ducking her head. "Is this-?"

"StarClan," Clearfrost finished. "StarClan is a replica of the living territory, and this portion is ShadowClan's, though there are no borders."

"No borders?" Mintpaw echoed.

Clearfrost nodded. "Every cat lives here in peace. It's a magical place, Mintpaw, a place which I'm sure you'll come to love just as much as me."

Just then, the bramble bushes parted to reveal an orange she-cat with green eyes and white paws. Clearfrost's eyes lit up, finally bringing life into her cold icy eyes. "Berryfern!" 

Mintpaw watched, in great shock, as her mentor jumped forward with a purr, rubbing muzzles with the orange she-cat. She'd never seen Clearfrost like this before.

"Clearfrost," Berryfern replied with a purr of her own. "I trust everything's well in ShadowClan?"

"Great," the ragdoll meowed, beckoning Mintpaw forward. "This is my apprentice, Mintpaw. Mintpaw, this was my mentor, Berryfern."

Berryfern's sharp green eyes turned to Mintpaw, making the gray tabby want to shrink into herself. There was something unsettling about the orange she-cat's eyes, a shade of green so brilliant that it seemed cold, almost. They reminded Mintpaw greatly of how Clearfrost always looked.

Like mentor, like apprentice.

Stars shimmered in Berryfern's pelt as she spoke. "It's lovely to meet you, Mintpaw. Clearfrost, could you give us some time alone? I have some things I'd like to discuss."

Mintpaw turned to her mentor, silently begging the ragdoll not to leave her alone. But Clearfrost either didn't interpret the message properly or didn't care, simply shrugging in agreement as she turned around and left.

As soon as she did, Berryfern's entire demeanor changed.

"You know," the orange she-cat hissed.

Mintpaw gulped, taking a step back. "I- I don't know what you're talking about," she stammered, mind instantly whipping to the conversation she overheard between Ivorystar and Clearfrost.

She did know. And she was more than certain she knew why Berryfern wanted to keep it a secret.

"Don't act stupid," Berryfern spat. "Don't try and lie to me." The orange she-cat paused, eyes going dark. 

"You know about the prophecy."

Mintpaw felt herself shuddering with fear at the StarClan cat's crazed green eyes. She gave one single, curt nod, and that was all it took for Berryfern to explode.

"NO!" Berryfern moved before Mintpaw could even react. Before she knew it, Berryfern had tackled her over.

The gray tabby hit the Burnt Sycamore before falling onto the ground hard, feeling her breath knock out of her. When she finally regained her ability to breathe, the first thing she saw was the orange she-cat's insane eyes, only inches away from hers.

Mintpaw started to struggle. "Wait- what are you-"

"Stay still," Berryfern growled. "You weren't supposed to know. You aren't supposed to know."