Chapter 12 : The Legion of Honor

A/N : To the veterans, due to this story being a rewrite, some information and scenes might be familiar to you.

---

The following day, the Minister of Foreign Affairs Phillipe Petain had conducted the negotiations with the representatives of the Grand Duchy of Helvetica, for its reintegration within the French Empire.

The delegation was comprised of a few officials of the Grand Duchy, but more importantly of one member of the Council of the Dukes, in charge of representing the interest of the Council during the negotiations.

But what was originally supposed to be negotiation leaded by the Grand Duchy, turned into an imposed inclusion by the French Empire.

The Minister of Foreign Affairs Phillipe Petain have imposed the conditions of the French Empire for the reintegration, without letting any space for further negotiation.

Despite hours of heated discussion between the two parties, the French representatives didn't back down and rejected the dozen of compromises the Helvetic Delegation proposed.

On an external point of view, it looked like it was the Grand Duchy that was advantaged by the negotiations. If the French rejected their offer, they would just be able to stay as an independent country and the French Empire wouldn't be able to forcefully reintegrate them thank to the protection offered by the Empire of Ostlandia.

But the reality was different, the population of the Grand Duchy of Helvetica was mostly French and has made known its desire to return to France.

In other words, if the Grand Duchy of Helvetica were to come back with no reintegration deal, the Council of the Duke would lose its legitimacy in the mind of the people and a revolution was assured to occur.

And that fact, the Minister of Foreign Affairs Phillipe Petain knew it perfectly, this was why he stayed on his own mind, refusing any compromise and slowly pushing the Helvetic envoys to cede.

But to avoid them quitting the meeting with a dejected feeling, he let members of the Council of the Dukes secure some snoring and unimportant privileges. Let them think that they have succeeded to achieve something during the negotiations.

With the meeting ending on the signature of a 'reciprocal agreement' on the Helvetic reintegration, Minister of Foreign Affairs Phillipe Petain shook hands with the Duke of the delegation, ending the existence of the Grand Duchy of Helvetica.

With 5 million persons and a small part of the Middle Mountains reintegrating the French Empire, many would think that not much would change on a national and international stance.

But the area being extremely rich in minerals and with the local bourgeoisie being well-versed in finances and economy, due to the ex-Grand Duchy being very active in banking, the French Empire would soon see its economic activity progress at a faster rate.

And with the middle class being very interested in the industrial, economic and social reforms of the Emperor, they were known to be pro-French Empire and very cooperative with the Government.

As for the request of the Empire of Ostlandia to recover the money its had kept within Helvetic banks, the French Empire accepted at the condition that Ostlandia repaid the money that have been borrowed to the Grand Duchy of Helvetica with due interest.

The Empire of Ostlandia had no other choice than to accept their request, as breaking the deal made with the Grand Duchy of Helvetica over its reintegration to the French Empire would made them look as opportunistic and untrustworthy.