Chapter Six

Saturday 23rd May (Day 6)

7:00am – Breakfast

9:00am – Task 5

2:00pm – Practice

6:00pm – Dinner

9:00pm – Film time (Ever After)

“On your marks, get set, GO!” Blade yelled. A gun went off and we all started running. It was the most ridiculous thing, for task five we had to run. Yep, run. I mean like a race. What the hell does running have to do with getting a girl? I really had to talk to Blade about these tasks. They were just plain weird now.

“Hey Iris, come on!” Raven called over her shoulder. Right now I hated that Raven was sporty. I wasn’t the person you would choose to be the athletic type, let’s just say. Actually I hated sport; I always came last in every event, especially running. Why did life hate me? Except one year when everyone went before the gun went off. They all had to start three minutes after me. That was the only time I got a 1st in sport.

“Iris, you know that the last 48 people are told to leave right? I guess I will have to organise a farewell party for you!” Alison laughed as she ran passed me. I gritted my teeth and pretended she wasn’t there. Alison was right though, I was most likely going to have to leave today. I never thought I would actually miss this place. It was amazing how my opinion of this mansion had changed. I used to think it was more like a jail. I had to stop thinking about that though and concentrate on the road ahead. I looked around and saw only a few people around me. Why did everyone have to be so fast? I didn’t know Sabrina and Georgia were good runners. My view of the track soon fell to the dirt. Yeah you guessed it, I fell over. I rolled over on my back and groaned from the pain which was coming from my shin. I glanced down to see drops of blood. Oh great, just great. This was just what I needed. Now I was going to have to leave and never see the elements again. Then my heart sunk for some reason when I thought of him. I wouldn’t be able to see him again either. And when we had just made a truce, I seriously think that God was against me.

“Iris!” I heard my name. Who was that? It was too faint for me to recognise. Everyone had gone on and so I knew it couldn’t be one of the girls for the competition.

“Iris!” there was my name again. I could tell it was a male now. “What are you doing on the ground? Aren’t you meant to be running?” the voice asked. I looked up and saw Blade smiling down on me.

“Shut up, I fell” I sighed in frustration.

“Let me help you up” Blade said offering his hand to me. I tried to stand on both of my legs but my sore shin hurt too much. I stumbled and found myself once again in Blade’s arms. Now I couldn’t tell if this was lucky or unlucky.

“Damn it!” I moaned looking at my leg.

“Take it easy” Blade said with concern in his voice.

“Now I am going to lose” I mumbled. Blade somehow heard me.

“You want to stay?” Blade asked with an eyebrow raised. Shit! I didn’t want him to hear me.

“Ah…I…” I stuttered and began to feel myself blush.

“I’ve got an idea, come one”

Blade snaked his arm around my waist and I slung my arm around his shoulders. This was only to help me walk. There was nothing to read into. Blade was just being a nice friend.

“Where are we going?” I finally asked.

“I know a short-cut”

“You’re helping me to stay here?” I asked curiously. At first Blade didn’t look at me.