25. She's gone.

The air was heavy with unspoken emotions, a mixture of trepidation and a glimmer of hope. Yashaswini's voice quivered as she began to recount the painful memories that had haunted her for years. "You think it should have been easy for me," she started, her words laced with anguish. "To forget, to forgive him and move on. But it's not that simple. When you've witnessed your father's cruelty toward your mother every single day, the way he stripped away her humanity, it's not something you can just erase. And then one day, she reached her breaking point. Dad told everyone it was an accident, that her leg slipped and she fell. But it was him, Vihaan. He killed her. He pushed her to the edge where she couldn't bear it anymore. They thought I was too young to understand, and maybe I was. But she never listened to me when I begged her to leave him alone, and now she's gone."

A surge of anger and pain surged through Vihaan's veins, mirroring the intensity in Yashaswini's voice. He clenched his fists, his heart heavy with empathy. "It didn't even take him a month to remarry," Yashaswini continued, her voice thick with bitterness. "I was just ten years old, forced to witness it all. Everyone despises their stepmother, but I knew I had to protect her from the monster. Strangely, he became distant with her, as if regret gnawed at him. But it was too late. To cover my mistakes, I poured my love into my stepmother. And yet, the regret of not saving my mother will always haunt me. Living with something like that, tell me, Vihaan, if it's easy!"

Tears streamed down Yashaswini's face, her emotions pouring out like a raging storm. Vihaan understood the turmoil within her, but he couldn't remain silent. He had to speak his truth. "I never said it was easy," he interjected, his voice firm yet gentle. "Running away wasn't the solution. What's different now, other than the passage of time? You're resuming from where you left off, and if anything, things have become even more complicated, judging by that night when I was over."

Yashaswini's voice cracked as she retorted, "Of course, they have! He never even apologized!"

Vihaan's eyes met hers, filled with determination. "How could he? Have you given him the chance to speak to you? How can he find the words when you refuse to talk to him at all? Have you ever paused your anger long enough to consider how difficult it must be for him?"

"Him?" Yashaswini shrieked, disbelief etched on her face. "Why do you care about him? Why do you always take his side?"

"Yashaswini, please be reasonable," Vihaan implored, his voice laced with compassion. "I'm not taking sides, but I'm trying to understand the weight he carries. One mistake has shaped the way his daughter treats him for the rest of his life."

"It wasn't a small mistake, Vihaan!" Yashaswini snapped, her frustration palpable. "You have no idea how difficult it was for me even to go to school."

Vihaan nodded, his gaze filled with empathy. "I know, Yashu. I understand the pain you endured. I was there then, and I am here now. You know that." He reached out, his hand gently intertwining with hers, and she allowed the touch.

"Listen," Vihaan continued after a brief pause, his voice filled with warmth. "You've just arrived. It took you a long time, but the fact that you're here shows how strong you truly are. Give it time."

Yashaswini sighed, exhaustion etched across her face as she leaned back against the car seat, closing her eyes. Vihaan tenderly brushed his fingers against her cheek, his touch carrying reassurance.

"It's so difficult, Vihaan," she whispered, her voice laden with weariness.

Vihaan's heart swelled with love and understanding. He knew she needed rest, her feverish state and fatigue apparent. "Yes, it is," he replied softly, his voice filled with tenderness. "But it's going to be okay soon."

As the car continued its journey, a newfound flicker of hope ignited within Yashaswini's heart, guided by Vihaan's unwavering support.

**************************************

Hope you guys like it.

Happy reading !!!

Do comment, vote and share among your friends.

Social Media presence:

Instagram: @theheemalichaudhari [https://www.instagram.com/theheemalichaudhari/]

LinkedIn: Heemali Chaudhari [https://www.linkedin.com/in/theheemalichaudhari/]

Twitter: @theheemalic [https://twitter.com/theheemalic]

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thewittyones