6. How to be a family?

Compared to Mumbai, New York had always been a different kind of chaos. Unlike Mumbai, it was organized, not like there were no pedestrians everywhere or newspaper stalls on every streets. But she maybe missed Mumbai kind of chaos.

There was always a love-hate relationship with Mumbai because even though New York was chaotic it was different, it was atleast quite. Unlike Mumbai it was a silent rush. It always showed in the way people walked, taking big steps, walking swiftly to reach their destination.

On other hand Mumbai is loud, for the city who never sleeps it becomes really difficult for people to find peace. Walking in Mumbai, especially in crowded places like Dadar, Bandra is literally getting bumped in nano seconds by so many people.

But in New York, people rarely bumped into each other on the sidewalks, they all were pretty much used to the place and knew where they were going.

Here, in India, especially in Mumbai, it was a mixture. Half of the crowd was loud but on the other hand, rest of the crowd was calm. It was a crazy experience just in the first five minutes when she got on the road. So much honking for no reason. Everyone in rush, for God knows what reason. But she felt home after so many years. She knew she belonged here.

Once they crossed the Airport area, the place they were moving forward was much quieter than most parts of Mumbai. The rush and noise on the airport felt calming to Yashaswini because she knew the silence in the car was going to kill her and that is exactly what happened. She rolled down the window, feeling the night breeze on her face.

She closed her eyes for a minute and breathed in-it smelled of leaves and concrete, and dust and petroleum oil. She had missed the city. There was no place like Mumbai. She was thinking on how she can start a conversation and break the silence. 'It's cold here, isn't it?' Her mom asked. She knew Yashaswini well even if she was far from home for 9 years.

All Yashaswini said was,

'Yeah, it is quite cold.'

'Though you are coming from New York, so this must not feel that cold to you.'

'That's true.'

'Is it really cold there now?' her mom turned back and asked.

Yashaswini thought back to the last week that she had spent walking around the city in the dead of the night, laden with overcoats and thick scarves wrapped around her neck. She had always ended up feeling hot and sweaty inside all the winter wear from walking so much.

'Yes, it was really cold there.'

Her mom nodded and turned halfway. She sat like that for a few moments, facing neither backwards nor ahead, maybe trying to think of something to say next, and then she turned forward, as if unable to think of anything.

The silence enveloped them all once again. It had been too long since they had been around each other. Too long since they had shared each other's company, spoken to each other, lived with each other . . . loved each other. They had forgotten how to simply be in each other's presence.

They had forgotten how to be a family. And it did not feel nice. Yashaswini knew she has to work really hard for making the family normal again.

**************************************

Hope you guys like it.

Happy reading !!!

Do comment, vote and share among your friends.

Social Media presence:

Instagram: @theheemalichaudhari [https://www.instagram.com/theheemalichaudhari/]

LinkedIn: Heemali Chaudhari [https://www.linkedin.com/in/theheemalichaudhari/]

Twitter: @theheemalic [https://twitter.com/theheemalic]

Quora: [https://www.quora.com/profile/Heemali-Chaudhari]