4. passerine.

Nastya knew Kaz was studying her when she arrived at the Crow Club the next day, toolbox in one hand, bag in the other. She simply ignored his stare that mirrored the stare of Arken Visser, the supposed ticket across the Fold.

"I didn't hire you simply to get us across the Fold. You're with us because you smuggle Grisha out of the Little Palace, and that's the location of our target."

"Sun Summoner."

"Alleged."
"They wouldn't keep a fraud in the most secure location in all of Ravka." insisted Inej, and Nastya nodded.

"Inej is right. It's a high probability that there is a newly discovered Sun Summoner at the Little Palace."

"You said you have a contact who can get us inside. A Heartrender." said Kaz, staring at Arken.

"Mmm-hmm."

"How do I know we can trust her?"

"Nina grew up there."

"Most Grisha grew up in the Little Palace."

"Very few would betray their general, and fewer still would help foreigners kidnap their most prized possession." said Arken.

Nastya sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. "I knew Nina." she began. "When I was... back in East Ravka, she was one of the few people that actually made an effort to befriend me and include me. I don't know what she's like now, but I think she'd recognize me."

"Nina's a radical. Thinks Grisha should get to choose if they serve the Crown. She despises involuntary service more than she does Fjerdans." confirmed Arken.

Nastya's nerves raised higher and higher as the ship made port in West Ravka. Already she was getting stares as the Crows and Arken headed to the inn that Nina was supposedly staying at, and she stopped brushing her dark hair away from her face, letting it hide her face. Kaz must have noticed, because–

"Nastya. Let them stare. You don't owe them anything." he rasped, concise as ever. Nastya grimaced, yet still pulled her hair away from her face as she walked.

They arrived at the inn a few minutes later – a shoddy inn meant for travelers and sailors alike. Kaz's eyes flicked to the innkeeper, Nastya signalling that the currency was indeed legitimate krydda.

Something clearly wasn't right, and she knew the worst fate for a Grisha had happened when her eyes fell on the mess of Nina's room. There was a harsh pattern of metal here – one that filled her heart with the fear that a younger girl had felt.

"Saints. Not this." she muttered, attempting to steel her nerves.

"She knew to expect us." said Arken, looking around.

"She's not late. Take a guess as to what happened." she said, glaring.

"Yes, but her things are all..."

"What is it?" asked a confused Jesper.

Nastya pressed her middle finger to her thumb, flicking out the rest of her fingers. The pin's metal hummed as it approached her hand, as if a magnet drawn to metal. It fell into her other hand, and she held it out.

"Druskёlle." spat Nastya, other hand now at her knife. "They're Fjerdan Grisha hunters."

"Explains the Fjerdan krydda the innkeeper was counting when we arrived. It's likely he ratted her out." noted Kaz, cane at the ready.

"She's probably captive on a ship to Fjerda by now."

"They had a clear line of attack. Take a look. Make sure there aren't any more surprises." ordered Kaz. Inej nodded, raising her hood up. She was gone in an instant, through the broken window without a sound.