Chapter 3

Death was only a sadistic mirage of serenity. The darkness was everywhere, so solid my eyes burned gazing straight into it and covers of viscous obsidian engulfed me like burial garments. Water was trickling nearby. The air was thick and stale, almost tangible as it oozed down my throat and into my aching lungs with every desperate breath. And it was choking me, even as I gasped for more, a cruel joke. Fear was a rancid taste in my mouth.

Panic was sinking its claws in deep. I took a step and my foot splashed into icy water. My blind vision jolted, like static cutting through my eyes and for a split second I saw a figure outlined with brilliant white-

Back into the total darkness.

There was water at my ankles now, the trickling stream sounded more like a river - a flood.

I couldn't stay here and wait to drown, the water kept rising rapidly. But I was still crippled in the darkness, absolutely blind.

Eyes stinging against the incessant nothingness, I twisted my head languidly, the heavy darkness acting as a barrier. It was too my hips and rising.

Nothing.

Panic dug its hysteria-inducing talons in deeply. A scream ripped through my throat but made absolutely no sound as the water closed over my head. Silence.

Can't breathe.

Can't move.

Can't think.

Can't cry.

Minutes, days, years.

Mouth locked open in a silent, guttural scream.

***********************************************************************************************

"My Lady! I'm so sorry!" A frantic voice was crying near me. "Please don't die. I'm so sorry I-I didn't mean to do it!"

Slowly, I realised I could move my toes again, then my fingers, then my eyes. The immediate shakiness in my exhausted limbs told me that it had been a day, probably longer, since I'd eaten. I stirred, but when I moved my head agony burst forth. I cried out in pain, and there was a panicked sob and then the sound of feet running. My eyes were heavy, as if my lids were stuck together. It hurt so much. Each footstep sent my head throbbing, but anything was better than that nothingness.

"My Lady? Can you hear me?" There was a gentle voice calling now, and cool hands on my forehead. I knew this voice, didn't I? I tried to stir, latching onto the sense of deja vu and whimpered in pain. "Shh, my lady, shh. You are fine."

"The healer's coming." Said a deeper voice, and I felt myself being lifted onto a bed, but the throbbing in my head grew exponentially worse until I welcomed the returning numbing blackness like an old adversary.

When I woke again, I found myself staring at the wooden frame of what I assumed was a bed, with bands of hide laced across it and the fur of some animal was draped over me. It looked unfamiliar, and yet...recognisable - much like the voices. I struggled to sit up, but the movement made me dizzy and I ended up dry heaving over the side, and as I leaned over my vision stuttered between a woven carpet and white tiles. I blinked and it blurred and then settled on the former. What the hell? I gripped the blankets. Was this a dream?

Feet came running, and I looked up from the messy floor blearily. There was a young woman standing in the door. She looked frightened and upset to see me throw up. I knew her, didn't I? Recognition tugged at the back of my mind, but I couldn't place where I had seen her before. Her tousled black hair was frizzy, and her hazel eyes were wide and filled with tears.

"Healer, she's getting sick!" The woman called out the doorway, alarm saturating her voice.

Feet hurried down the hall, but these were older, more ladylike feet than the young woman's full out run. A beautiful matron with ebony hair and mahogany eyes hurried into the room. Where the younger woman's hair was tied back hurriedly at the base of her neck, a few traitorous curls spilling down her face like ink, the elder woman's sleek brunette locks coiled perfectly on top of her head, where they were fastened in place with a gold pin. While both their outfits were unusual, the old woman's was pristine and I could tell she was wealthier.