Chapter 6

Tessa's scream wakes me. I wake up in a bush just outside the cave. I jump up and run inside the cave. It's filled with green gas. I begin to choke. I hear everyone screaming for help. I grab my bag and my ax. I look for Tessa. I can't find her. BOOM!

"Where's Tessa? Tessa!" I scream. I try to scream more for her but my voice cuts out due to the gas. I run for the cave opening. I lose focus again. Dizzy. I bump against the side of the cave. I stumble to the ground. I feel defeated.

"Help! Sawyer! Please! Someone!" Tessa screams! I run back into the cave looking for her.

"Tessa! Hold on! I'm Close!" I yell back. I sprint around the inside of the cave. Looking in every corner and area. I begin to cough blood. Everything blurs. I fall to my knees. "Tessa. Where are you?" Someone grabs my arms and drags me. "No! Tessa! We have to save Tessa!"

Blood erupts out of my mouth. My eyes blink open. I look around. I don't recognize my surroundings. I see green-ish trees.

"Where am I?" I ask.

"You're with us. We escaped from the cave." Magnolia whispers. We are on the top of a small hill. I don't see anyone else.

"Where is everyone? Where is Tessa?" I stammer.

"Aaron and Miles are looking for any things left behind. And. Tessa," Magnolia takes a breath, "she's gone." I look in her eyes for doubt

"What? No." I am defeated. The one thing I wanted to do was save her from this mess. "This is my fault. I couldn't save her."

"She was gone before you were looking for her. The cannon went off. You were hallucinating. The gas got to you."

No. No, no, no, no, no. This isn't real. Tessa is alive. She is hiding from the Careers. That wasn't her cannon. She's alive. Rivers run down my face meeting at my chin. She's alive.

"We're here." Magnolia points at the distorted image. That's the barrier.

"Tessa is gonna escape with us." I murmur. Magnolia gives me one look until she turns her head and makes camp. She doesn't even care.

The Capitol's anthem plays. I stare into the sky. District five female. Tessa. I feel sick. I gag on my sharp breaths. I hold myself like a hundred pieces. Broken. Her parents probably hate me. She's not dead. Stop crying.

Day eight. Aaron and Miles return with my bag and other supplies. We all look sick. Eating lots of berries and bread. Drinking lots of water. Not much talk.

I go on a walk to clear my thoughts. The sky is turning dark already. All I can think about is Tessa. The image of her in the sky. No. I stumble across an open backpack. I look inside. Many berries and some kind of bomb with a remote. I grab it.

As I'm walking back I feel watched. I look for anyone. No one is there. It continues. I hear some kind of sound. I turn. Then I see it. Two glowing orange eyes. An owl. An owl with a large beak and large claws. It lifts off the branch and jumps towards me. I push off the ground, throwing my arms from back and forth.

The razor-sharp beak stabs into my right shoulder blade. I let out a scream when it hits. I grab my ax from my back and make a sharp turn around. The owl comes crashing down at me. I swing, making the owl fall to the ground.