Chapter 8

After last night none of us speak. We set up camp and cry in peace. Miles is probably hurting a lot. It's day eleven. We ration food like normal. And drink very little water.

It's around noon. I carve my ax into one of the Vampire Trees and get lots of the poisonous sap into a bag. I'm planning to attack the Careers.

I get quite close to where I saw them last. But I don't see them. I make my way to Cornucopia. They are arguing. I hide behind it.

"Are you kidding? That's a horrible idea. She wants us to kill him now!" Stammers Radiance.

"We will do it tomorrow. Drift just died. And you are gonna get us killed anyway." Shoots Bishop. District one and two continue to argue.

"Guys, shut up! If we wanna win we have to work together." Shouts Siren. The only thing holding them together is her. If I killed her, they would fall apart.

Night comes and I set my plan in motion. Miles sets a fire in the pink tree area attracting District one. Magnolia sets a second one in the blue tree area attracting District two. My time to strike.

I crawl behind the Cornucopia and plan to ambush her. She is sitting, sharpening her trident. I hold up my ax. I try to control my focus.

BOOM! My focus is lost. Is Magnolia or Miles dead? Oh no. I'm next. I try to refocus. I throw the ax. I miss my a foot. Siren's face turns towards me.

"Hey!" Siren screams. What should I do? I climb on top of the Cornucopia. She follows. I pull out the bag with the sap. She stabs it. The sap oozes onto my hands. I push the trident near her. She grabs my leg. She pulls the bag off her trident. She stabs my leg with the trident.

"Help!" I shout.

"No one is here to help you!" Siren yells at me. She sinks the trident farther in my leg. Then the sap kicks in. My hands turn red. Swollen. I begin to cough. Siren's grip on the trident lets go. I fall off the other side of the Cornucopia. I stumble to the ground. Everything is blurry. I try to pull the trident out of me. It won't budge.

BOOM! Am I dead? I blink faster to reassure myself that I'm alive. My vision focuses back. Sawyer, get a hold of yourself. There is a spear on the ground. I grab it and use it to get the trident out of my leg. It works. I use the spear to get me on top of the Cornucopia.

Siren lays there. She looks dead. I see her breathing. I steady my hands to stab her. I begin to shake. I throw myself forward, but only hit her thigh.

"Stop!" Siren wails. I try again. This time I hit her stomach. "No!" This time I dip the spear in the sap and stab her throat. "Please!" I drop the spear and slide down the Cornucopia. I crawl back to the base, the barrier break. BOOM!

"We did it!" Magnolia cheers. She places medicine on my leg. Magnolia still seems a little weird after Aaron's death. Also, Miles hasn't shown up yet.

The Fallen plays. District four female, Siren. District eleven female and male. Lilac and Envy. They must've been poisoned.

"Where's Miles? He lit the fire, right?" Magnolia asks.

"He did. I saw smoke" I say. To be honest, I'm worried. Miles could be anywhere. He is in danger.