Chapter 16

"No peeking, Dianna!" I heard Rydel shriek.

I wasn't dumb. I could tell they were planning a surprise party for me. It had been a week since my bike ride with Ross, and the Lynches were absolutely terrible at keeping things a surprise. It was my birthday and I was told to get dressed and then a blindfold was wrapped around my head.

They really were awful at this surprise thing. But I let them have their fun.

It was a month after I'd been admitted to the hospital and it was also the last weekend before school began. Because I graduated when I returned home from the casting call, I didn't have to go. However, I did want to take a class or two at the local community college. After the Lynches were done with their surprise, I would register.

Once I felt myself being walked up the driveway, I knew we had made it across the street to their house. With a good sense of direction, I could tell when we had reached the gate. The creak of the metal confirmed my belief. After a few more steps, Rydel and Ross stopped me. Ross's hands lifted the blindfold from my head. The light blinded me and the screams of "surprise!!!" deafened me.

I jumped back and yelped.

The entire back yard was decked out in burgundy, my favorite color. People were swimming, and I could smell veggie burgers on the grill.

"Happy birthday!!!"

"Thank you all so much!" I squealed.

The day went by very smoothly. My castmates were there, Cam and the cast of Austin and Ally were there, and a few of Cam's siblings were there. We ate, swam, and I even got Ross to line dance a bit; something I did frequently back home.

As Ross walked me back to my house at the end of the day, he asked, "So what classes are you registering for?"

"Um... An ASL course, a painting course, and a financial lifeskills course. You know, taxes, mortgage, insurance, and adult junk like that."

"Sweet."

"Mhm!"

Silence fell upon us.

"When do you normally eat breakfast?"

That was a weird question. But I answered regardless. "I dunno. I'm an early riser so normally no later than eight."

"Next question. Are you free tomorrow morning around eight?"

I found myself unable to conceal a grin. "I am."

Ross let out a shaky laugh. "Kinda cheesy, aren't I? Um. Would you like to go get breakfast tomorrow morning? As a date?"

Regardless of how ready I felt to date, much more it being Ross, I found myself biting my bottom lip as I smiled and nodded.

Ross sighed, almost in relief it seemed. "Great. I'll meet you outside at like 7:45?"

By this point, we'd reached my door. "Mhm. See you then." Before he could respond, I opened my door and rushed inside.

Was this utterly crazy? After all we'd been through and after how much that boy frustrated me, was I really about to go on a date with him?