Chapter 24: The House Warming Party

Later at night, Margaret is restlessly sleeping, before she wakes up and rubs her eyes. In the morning, Margaret visits the armory with a young African-American woman guiding her.

Margaret: Sorry to wake you like this, Chloe.

Chloe: No, no, it's cool. I'm usually up anyway. I have a cup of coffee every day when the shit hit the fan. The brain gets so wired.

Margaret grabs her silenced sniper rifle.

Chloe: I found an old cell phone from the old days. Keep it in my pocket hoping that one day it'll ring....Hey, if you happen to get a boar, could I have the leg?

Margaret looks up, raising her eyebrow.

Chloe: To make some stew for the party tonight, you know?

Margaret: Party?

Chloe: Yeah....it's to celebrate and welcome new people. Gives people a chance to meet you all.

Margaret: Sure, Chloe.

At the Berrington gate, a guard opens it for Margaret, just as two men on horses with deer strapped to the back of their horses, one Caucasian-American and one African-American, enter inside the walls of Berrington.

Ryan: Hey, you're new.

Margaret: I am.

Bryan steps off from the horse and approaches Margaret.

Bryan: I'm Bryan.

Bryan turns to the bald African-American man.

Bryan: This is Connor. We do the runs.

Connor: How do you do?

Bryan: You going somewhere?

Margaret: Just out to clear my head.

Connor: Everything good?

Margaret gives a look.

Margaret: Yeah...

Later on in the woods, Margaret sets up pictures in front of her, before shooting a picture. She then looks around.

Margaret: Goddammit....

Margaret shoots another, before looking around, finding nothing.

Margaret: Fuck.....

In a PTSD moment, with Marcus's voice in her head, Margaret shoots the rest of the pictures.

Margaret: Shit! Shit! Fuck!

In Berrington, Kyle, Sarah, Cassandra and Laura are having a meeting.

Kyle: You're having me as a lead sheriff?

Laura: Yep...and Sarah will be your deputy with her being your wife. I thought I'd be fit for you both. The two of you will have weapons. You patrol, walk the wall, watch out for the kids. If there's a fight, you solve it and people will listen to you.

Sarah: Because we're the authority.

Laura: Because they believe in this, honey. Because I'm telling her this.

Laura hands two sheriff badges to Kyle and Sarah.

Laura: A cop used to live here, but he died on a run.....I wanted to make sure that these badges didn't go to waste. There will be government and order which is why Cassandra is here. There's going to be a sheriff department here....it will be like the old days. People will feel safe knowing that there's a police force, government and order. Real lives. It might be horses and mills, but-

Laura notices Kyle's expression.

Laura: What? Does it sound like a pipe dream?

Cassandra: No....