Chapter 56: Defeat's Not An Option

━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━━

N O W P L A Y I N G

» [ Danger (Instrumental) - IDS, Dmajormusic ] «

0:01 ─〇──────── 2:52

⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━━

───── ❝ R U B Y F R I D A Y ' S P O V ❞ ────

║ Gregorian Calendar ║ 02 - 25 - 2027 ║

║ Thursday║ (D - 1) Before the Commencement of Olympia's Cup║

As we dispersed to our common rooms to strategize, an air of mystery and danger surrounded this new challenge. The corridor was dimly lit, the torches casting shadows that danced ominously on the stone walls. An eerie silence hung in the air as we made our way down the stairs, our footsteps the only sound,  echoing off the cold stone. We descended into the unknown, into what seemed like the bowels of the school's dungeon itself.

Within our mysterious endeavor I stayed silent, listening to the hushed chatter of my teammates around me. Rumors from them began to swirl in my mind as I can hear them mention the last wave of the Olympia's Cup years before where they found artifacts hidden around the cup's grounds, weapons that could incapacitate opponents, and of secret passages that could give one team an advantage.

The torches cast an ominous glow on their faces as they spoke in hushed tones, their words carrying an air of mystery.

"Could there be those sorts of things again, this time?" ask the girl on my left, whom I recognize by the pin on her uniform was named Olivia Carolyne. I can hear the trepidation in her voice, the barely concealed fear.

"Who knows," replied Serene who's walking a little behind us, "There was so much history and legend surrounding this competition. And, it is said that the Olympia's Cup organizers, the teachers, and Ms. Rose always like to add... new dangerous twists each year," with her last words seemingly emphasized, I looked at her while trudging on our path ahead that's twisted and turned. My gazes for her then returned with both an exhausted and wretched grin.

Beatrice, that blonde girl whom I got on haste at the courtyard weeks before, just hummed in agreement to Serene's words, as she clearly caught up in fantasies of discovering secrets that would help ensure our victory. 

While on my side, I remained quiet, unsure what to make of their excited speculation. On one hand, any advantage could help in such a competitive tournament. But on the other, I wondered if we should win based on our skills and teamwork alone, without the aid of hidden artifacts or tricks.

Still, I kept these thoughts to myself for now, simply listening as my teammates continued dreaming up scenarios where we uncovered some secret advantage during the Olympia's Cup. For the moment, I would stay silent, reserving judgment until we knew for sure what surprises, if any, awaited us.

After their brief exchange, and into the inky blackness between the walls, I could sense the apprehension within the rest of my companions, as I feel the tension in the air. The familiar dread began to crawl up my spine as possible scenes of trials flashed through my mind — the maze of traps, the obstacles lurking in the shadows, the possible panic and pain.