Chapter 7: Ally or Enemy?

━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━━

N O W P L A Y I N G

» [ Swim - Chase Atlantic ] «

2:54 ─────〇──── 3:48

⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━━

"I've been drowning for a minute, your body keeps pulling me in, girl

The water's getting colder, let me in your ocean, swim

Out in California, I'll be forward stroking, swim

So hard to ignore ya, 'specially when I'm smoking, swim

World is on my shoulders, keep your body open, swim

I'm swimming, I'm swimming, I'm swimming, yeah

Out in California, I'll be forward stroking, swim

So hard to ignore ya, keep your body open, swim,"

───── ❝ K I L L I A N W I L D E' S P O V ❞ ────

Standing outside the school's infirmary with its walls painted a dreary gray, and the lighting is muted and dull, I watched in heightened sense and horror as the new girl that I just saved from her near death drowning experience coughed violently, trying to get the excess water out of her lungs.

In the center of the room, she sat atop the infirmary bed, quivering even under its white thick sheets that was a sharp contrast to the stark gray walls. An array of peculiar and outlandish machines were linked to her bed, resembling the gadgets of a science-fiction film.

"You'll be coughing up your organs if you keep that up, woman." I warned her, trying to break the uncomfortable silence.

Unfortunately, instead of responding with a normal reply, she simply glared at me with an expression of intense terror. Her breathing was becoming more and more strained and I could sense the dread brewing in the air.

"Easy. That was a joke. You couldn't take one?" I said, raising my hands in a surrendering gesture whilst feeling an odd mix of concern, curiosity, and amusement.

She rolled her eyes, and I can see her fighting the urge to kill me with her gaze. "You'd think it's funny if I died, wouldn't you?" She says between coughs as she continued to shoot death glares my way with a strained expression, then muttered something about me being the death of her. I managed to catch the glimmer in her eye, though, and knew she was only half serious.

"At least you wouldn't have to put up in our twisted games this upcoming Friday, if you did right?" I quipped back with a friendly smirk, relieved to finally see a glimmer of a smile on her face.

My words seemed to settle the situation, and I watched as she slowly began to recover, the coughing fit slowly subsiding. A flood of relief washed over me as I realized I had succeeded in saving her.

The moonlight spilled through the window, reflecting off of every surface in her room as if it were a layer of frost.

As the air conditioner began to hum stronger more than ever, a chill crept through the room, causing her to shiver unstoppably. I'd been watching, and when I saw her trembling against the cold, I decided to take action. I stepped forward, my hand reaching for the remote, and with a simple press of a button I silenced the icy chill that had filled the room.