Chapter 4

Upon finishing my trip to the minimarket, I headed toward my motorcycle and took a quick trip to the same empty field that changed my life yesterday. I stood in front of where the Torii gate used to be, now devoid of anything but grass and dirt. A gentle breeze blew past the landscape, causing the neatly cut grass to sway ever so slightly.

"Emily, did you cross a Torii gate at some point yesterday?"

"... so that's the cause..."

I felt surprised knowing that she didn't immediately deduce the reasons, but maybe our Torii gate experiences were different, explaining how she didn't notice anything weird.

"Did it also disappear after you cross?"

"Yeah."

We were practically standing side by side, but she couldn't see what I saw. What I could see was Emily looking at something. I couldn't tell what it was, but it felt weirdly similar to my own gaze. We were both looking at something longingly, something that used to exist but was no longer here.

"Where is your Torii gate located?"

"Right across the street from my current residence, in a shady-looking alleyway. I should have known better."

"Yeah, I messed up as well."

It was interesting to know that despite being in completely different places, with completely different surroundings, we crossed the same Torii gate and ended up with our fates intertwined like this. Had someone else crossed this or that Torii gate, would the end result be different? What would they have done if they saw Emily's crying face? Or would it be me who was crying when I realized it was someone else who had gotten stuck by my side?

Could other people even see the gate in the first place? Even if they can, would they cross it? Had only I crossed, would things be any different? Had Emily been the only one to cross, how would things be?

"Emily, was there anyone else near you when you passed? Or maybe someone who showed some interest?"

"No. All passers-by walked past as if the gate didn't exist."

"Interesting."

"What the heck do you mean interesting? We're in big trouble here, mister."

"Yeah, you're right."

From the direction of the shophouses, I saw a security officer clad in brown making his way toward me.

"Kid, do you have some business here?"

He asked, trying to act nicely, but his voice came out as curt and emotionless. I could tell from the smile he forced onto his face that he was trying to be kind, however.

"Did you know about a red gate around this location yesterday or the day before?"

I asked. I decided not to add the detail of it being a Torii gate, since not everyone knew what they were.

"Red gate? I don't think I've ever even seen a gate here."

"I must be seeing things, then. Sorry for taking your time."

I apologized and turned around, Emily still looking in the same direction as I dragged her toward my motorcycle. I glanced at the security guard who shook his head and returned back to the complex. Even when I rode the motorcycle, it looked weird as no matter how fast I go, Emily would be standing somewhere in the exact same position while getting dragged around at blistering speed, with absolutely no effect on her.

I headed back toward my apartment while thinking about what to do next.

The second I arrived back in my apartment, I went to the toilet.