Chapter 15

"To think you two experienced that kind of thing... to think that kind of thing is real in the first place."

Mom said before stuffing another dumpling down her throat. I ate the last of the dumplings and set the plate aside, putting it on top of a collection table where hotel staff would come and take it. I then took a tissue out of the suit I wore, not really sure why I was wearing one, and used it to wipe my mouth.

"Yeah, it's really weird."

I replied. I put the used tissue on top of the plate that I had just put down.

"Simon hadn't tried anything funny, right dear?"

"Mom, of course not!"

"Thank you for your concern, but no, not yet."

"Don't say not yet!"

Emily let out a chuckle after hearing my words. Up on the stage was the happy couple, Emily's parents sitting beside them. We had given them our congratulations, and were now seating our meal in the corner.

Beside me was Emily, eating the pasta on her plate. We actually tested the ability before, with me and Emily weaving in and out of the crowd. The ability wasn't triggered when our sights were blocked by a person, probably because humans weren't large enough. When something bigger blocked our line of sight, like, an entire stand for example, then Emily would disappear and reappear around me.

As long as we stayed within each other's orbit, we could be separated by anything. When one of us moved away and left the other's orbit, assuming we were then blocked by something, the phenomenon would kick in, causing us to be beside each other again. We accidentally crashed into each other a couple of times because one of us kept appearing and disappearing, and it became quite a headache. Not wanting to make trouble for anyone, we decided to just stick together.

I waited for Emily to finish her meal before heading back to the crowd, in search of more food. Once she was done and set her plate aside, we moved again.

"Simon?"

"Yes?"

I felt something holding my hand. I turned around and found Emily's right hand on mine. She held mine tightly, her face looking down, her cheeks read.

"Umm... If we hold hands, we won't get separated."

"Good idea. Where do you want to go?"

"I'm fine with anything."

"How about we each get one plate of something, and then share the food?"

Emily looked up, her cedar-brown eyes looking into mine. She noticed something and looked away, her lips opening and closing.

"Al... right..."

"Okay."

I pulled her slowly, weaving in between the crowd. She followed my steps. We went up to a food stall serving meatballs and waited in line. While we waited, I let go of her hand and she moved beside me. As planned, I only take one plate. After that, I'll take Emily's hand once more, but this time, I let her lead.

"We really look like a couple..."

She said, her words covered by the sounds of the murmurs around us. I could still hear her words, though.

"Yeah, you're right."

I wonder if anyone here actually saw us and thought about us in that way. At weddings, I rarely saw people other than the main couple and their parents holding hands, but it was not like I actually paid attention to my surroundings. Parties like these are meant for eating, chatting, and congratulating the couple, after all. Who cares about what others do? I surely don't.