Chapter 12

Emily's words rang through my ear. I fell silent, my brain thinking about her words. Based on her tone, I had a feeling that she wasn't joking, in one way or another. It didn't feel like a proposal, either. Instead, it felt like a question, like a genuine question out of curiosity, hiding any feelings behind it like a tightly sealed treasure chest. I remained silent, waiting for her to follow up with something. I expected her to suddenly laugh and say to me that it was all just a joke, saying that I shouldn't misunderstand her.

But instead, she remained silent, not a word left her mouth. The atmosphere became awkward, the fact that she was taking a bath behind me didn't help me one bit. Why couldn't she choose a better time, I wondered. Still no reply. I couldn't look back, so I couldn't tell what face she was making. Maybe I misunderstood everything, and she was trying to hold her laughter behind me. Or maybe, there was more meaning behind her words, meaning that I failed to grasp.

As I waited there, I thought of an explanation myself. Inside that room, there was her sister that was about to get married, linked together with a man of her choice, and spend the rest of their lives together. Here, meanwhile, in front of Emily, there was me, a person that she didn't choose to be her husband, but was glued to her regardless, for an indefinite period.

We had zero idea of how long things would last. It had been more than a month since we got linked to each other, and we still showed no signs of parting. If anything, we became closer in the month that passed. Maybe that was where her question originated from? If say, we failed to find an answer to our issue, and we remained stuck with each other for the rest of our lives, wouldn't it be better to be married?

A marriage based on circumstances and not love was not unheard of, but our circumstances weren't exactly normal, nor our feelings being nonexistent. Neither of us saw each other as a romantic partner yet, but maybe that was what she hinted at? Maybe, if we were going to be stuck anyway, should we just start having feelings for each other? That way, our days become more bearable, or maybe, we can turn all of this around into some kind of blessing?

I wanted an answer, I wanted to ask her what she truly meant. But her voice was tinged with some sadness, some melancholy in it, yet at the same time it felt truly flat, devoid of emotion, as if all the sadness was lost when it traveled from her room to mine.

"..."

I thought about answering with yes or some kind of lighthearted answer, but who knew how her reaction would be? I faced risk from all sides, no matter what I answer with. I truly didn't know what to do. I was stuck with my body facing down on the hotel's bed, my head digging deep into the pillow.

"Simon...?"

Emily called my name with a questioning tone. I inhaled some air, pulling myself even tighter into the pillow's cold embrace, up to the point where I couldn't breathe. I then pulled myself up, gasping slightly.

"I... don't know."

I didn't understand, I didn't get it. Her words, the meaning behind them, what she wanted. At that very moment, I felt disoriented, my head simulating a variety of possible scenarios, starting from best-case scenarios all down to the worst. After this, I would take a bath, or maybe I would head out to find dinner, or worse, invited to dinner by Emily's family. Made a mistake now and I may be put in an awkward position.

"I made it awkward, didn't I? I'm sorry."

She apologized.

"No, it's fine."

I answered, but I found myself truly not understanding what had just happened. I stayed in my position for a while. After a few minutes, I felt a light tap on my shoulders. I looked up, finding Emily already changed into casual clothing behind me. She wore an azure blue shirt with knee-level shorts. She smiled at me and moved away. I got up and headed for the bath, when I received an invitation for dinner. I typed in a quick reply and headed out.