Prologue

January 13, 1911,

January 13, 1911,

'Peter, wait!'

Peter turned in the air. He hadn't expected her to pay any attention to him. Wendy was home again and she seemed so happy, perhaps even happier than when she flew. Yet now she stood in the window and looked at him with a smile so radiant that he couldn't help but smile back, even though saying goodbye was the hardest thing he ever had to do.

'You won't forget me, will you?' She looked at him expectantly. Her smile had disappeared and he detected sorrow on her face. Her eyes were wet but glinted with hope.

Peter laughed. 'Me - forgetting you?' He folded his arms in front of his chest. 'Never.'

She gasped and there it was again: that smile he hoped he would never forget. No matter how long he would have to miss her. At that thought, his own smile slowly crept off his face and he stared blankly ahead. Wendy wanted to grow up. He would not see her again. Adults don't believe in fairytales like him.

She would forget about hím.

Tinkling at his ear pulled him out of his thoughts. He nodded to Tink. Peter raised his hand to Wendy and turned back into the air, but the moment he wanted to fly away, Wendy called him back.

'Are you coming back?'

He looked back again and smiled mischievously. 'To hear stories. About me, of course!'

Wendy laughed and watched him as he turned around, flew once around the chimney of a nearest house and then waved once more, before saying goodbye for good to the girl he would only see again in his dreams.