Chapter 26

Peter Pan

Peter Pan

It was already evening that Peter awoke to find that Avery had disappeared. He was lying in the sand, with an extinguished fire beside him and no Avery in sight. How had he even fallen asleep? Startled, he jumped up and called her name. His voice echoed through the valley, followed by dead silence. On the ground, he saw only his footprints and hers. That gave him a little peace of mind; at least she had not been kidnapped. On the verge of despair, Peter flew around the valley hoping she had gone swimming or hiking somewhere, but he suspected otherwise. She was gone. He landed by the campfire again and gave the burnt logs a kick, causing black pieces of wood to roll across the sand. He had given her far too much freedom. Why hadn't she listened to him- again? Had he not punished her enough last time? He should never have trusted her.

Frustrated, he stared ahead at the flowing water crossing the valley. She had jumped from the small waterfall near here earlier this week and gotten into the nearest valley. But he hadn't seen her there either. How had she gotten out of here? That river and valleys ended at a high waterfall with sharp rocks below the surface. There was no chance she would've survived that. At that thought, he swallowed wearily and shook the image of her dead body in the riverbanks out of his head. This was the reason he chose this valley. Without flying, there was no getting out of here. This was the safest place for Avery. 

Peter frowned when he saw something shimmering in the riverbed further on. Moonlight was reflecting off a glass bottle in the sand. He knelt down and picked it up carefully. It was empty, but the remains of a red liquid floated on the bottom of the bottle. Spitefully, he squeezed the bottle in his fist as a name rolled across his tongue: 'Tigerlily'.

                                                                                          *  *  *

His sudden entrance had alarmed the Indians. A gust of wind caught up with him as he abruptly stopped flying, making all the torches in the cave dance. He was welcomed by angry shouts and Indians pointing their spears and arrows at him. Peter did not flinch. 'Tigerlily, where are you!' his voice thundered through the cave.

Tigerlily calmly walked out of her tent and greeted him, but Peter didn't want to hear any pleasantries and grabbed her by her collar. 'Avery, where is she?'

Tigerlily was startled, but remained calm as she spoke. 'I sent her to the sirens. My father's prophecy, Peter. She can help you.'

'There is no one who can help me. I am the only one on this island who can put an end to Jacob. And I am also the only one who will.' He brought the collar closer to his face, but Tigerlily did not flinch. 'You put Avery in danger for nothing.'

'You did that the moment you brought her here, Peter.' Her voice was sharp, like her knives. 'Neverland would be lost at the hands of the new Captain of the Jolly Roger and only a lost boy with red hair could bring back your hope.'