Chapter 5

MUICHIRO TOKITO

"Well, go along Yuichiro," I heard my mother insist. "Go join your brother at the coffee table,"

He groaned in response, his footsteps slowly trailing closer to me by the second. I remained silent as he pressed his body beside me, and rested upon the snug couch. The other boys remained at the other side of the room, hesitant to approach us. I could sniff their nervousness from a mile away, or rather, a few meters from what it seemed.

Fortunately for them, they weren't alone as I was equally as apprehensive. I never spoke first in situations like this in fear I might just say something wrong. There wasn't much you could work with when there was absolutely nothing to perceive. Hesitantly, I tapped my brother by the side of his arm for available help of some sort. I heard him shut off his phone, gently placing it beside himself, and turned to face me.

"Hm?" He hummed in what seemed to be a curious tone.

"Could you introduce us?" I whispered, seeing as the other party didn't look forward to doing so themselves.

He went silent for a moment, possibly reflecting on a decision. This was expected as Yuichiro wasn't much of a talker himself. In fact, in most situations, I was the one speaking for the both of us. However, this time was different for whatever reason. An uneasy feeling oddly crept around me at the thought of opening my mouth ever so slightly.

"I'm Yuichiro, and this is Muichiro," My brother suddenly spoke up. "Umm I — we're twins, and... man, I don't know what else to say," He explained, murmuring the last part.

I sighed in disappointment, slapping my forehead with a palm. Why was it so hard for him to complete one job? 

Surprisingly for us, his mess up didn't matter however. Whatever he did just then managed to get the other boys to speak up.

"Oh, well — I'm Sanemi, and... this is my annoying younger brother, Genya," He introduced.

I took the time to significantly connect his voice to the name. This was something I always did when meeting new people. My memory wasn't the best when it came to anything else in general. However, as I grew up without the ability to see, I grew accustomed to the remembrance of the plethora of voices I heard every second.

"Yeah sure," The other brother, Genya, sarcastically responded. "Where are you guys from?"

With the help of just that question alone, we all began to instantly click. The two came over to the coffee table with us as we began to share our stories, as they did theirs. I'm sure everyone listened to the other's story, or at least I know I did.

Turns out, Sanemi and Genya have been residents in Chiba their whole lives, almost in fret of ever having to vacate. Their father worked as an orthopedist at the local hospital, whilst their mother was a stay at home wife. Interestingly enough, they had a lot of other siblings that lived with their grandparents as their mother didn't have the strength to take care of them all. They went for annual leaves to visit their siblings whenever the time was there. Genya was only older than me by a year, at fifteen. Whereas, his older brother, Sanemi, was much older than the rest of us at seventeen.

My brother didn't speak much, and neither did I to be fully honest. However, I did tell them how I tripped on the soccer field when I was younger, and completely lost all visual contact I had with the world. My doctor explained that I hit something in relation to my retinas at the back of my skull. From that day onward, I've remained with this condition ever since.

---