1 - The Morning of a Freeloader

For the sake of humanity, for peace, for the world...

Endure intense training, go through gruesome battlefields, then sleep like a log.

The next time I opened my eyes, everything I hated was over.

One day, I was looking out the window and decided that I, too, will attain a normal life of living every day, smiling like a child.

I've looked back on that unattainable dream countless times.

When the normal life I so desired became hazy and hard to grasp, it happened.

「Yawn... It's morning?」

I stare blankly at the sunlight seeping through the cracks of the curtains, yawning.

『They are called the Six Saviors. The Sage of magic, the Saint of healing, the Swordmaster, the Mystical Archer, the resourceful War God, and... the all-powerful Hero.』

I can hear a voice calling me, but I ignore it as I rub my eyes.

「So sleepy...」

『Time has passed since demons came flooding out of Makai that was connected to the Human Realm. In every age, six special humans will be born. Among the ages, the six in this age are said to be the strongest in history. The Hero, in particular, was trained by the other five Saviors and is so superior that it is said that no stronger being, past or present, would ever be born. Everyone expected the Hero to save humanity from the threat of the demons, so why-』

I shift my gaze to the double-edged sword leaning against the wall.

「I think I'll take another nap. Hey holy sword, think you can quiet down a little?」

A holy sword with a mind of its own, I've had it for ten years, ever since I was five years old.

This thing's the one that's been muttering this whole time.

I don't really know if swords have genders, but it kinda talks in a determined female voice.

『Why... Why did the Hero...become a Demon King Army freeloader...!!』

I don't know how many time's she's said it, but she's been complaining about the same thing lately.

Which is why I give her the same old reply I always do.

「I mean...they treat me better over here.」

I think that's a very important thing.

Recently, my life has completely changed.

First off, I wake up in the morning atop a fluffy bed.

It has a canopy attached to it, for reasons that I am unaware of.

For someone like me who traveled across the world and often slept outdoors, being able to sleep here every day is nothing short of a miracle. It's obvious but, the sleeping snugness is worlds apart.

「Are you awake, master Hero?」

My consciousness, which was almost lulled back into sleep by the sandman, was pulled back to reality.

「......Yeah, I'm up.」

As I say that, the door opens modestly and a black-haired maid enters.

She looks about the same age as me.

It would seem that she was chosen due to having the same hair color as the Hero, so as not to cause discomfort while serving.

Of course, among demons, there are many that have shapes and hair color not seen among humans.