Chapter 4

I want to hit the floor. I'm left speechless. How can I respond to that?

Did I just get a job I didn't even push for? I don't even know what the job is. I can't understand why the owner of the bookstore would quickly give me a position. I hardly know what goes around here besides selling books, maybe that what it is. I only met him for a couple of minutes, and I already have the position.

But do I really.

My nerves are going haywire. I can feel them crippling me, and yet I haven't fallen to the floor. I stare back at Emmet, as he quickly restocks a lot of books on the wood shelves. I'm still shocked.

 Without a proper interview or any rebuttal of what can I do to help make this place better, I just heard him say I got it. I remembered Zip saying his friend, who worked here very well, could be that cashier I talked to. That Emmet is precise in what he tries to say. He gets to it without any distractions. I want to be respectful, yet I'm thinking this man is trying to tease me to get out while I still can.

 "So I got it, Mr. Willgood?" I ask.

He doesn't respond for a couple of minutes. I find it rude. I'm just standing, and he's doing stuff as if it's a normal day. I try to ask him again.

"Yes, you did." He replies, still restocking the books. "You're that type of person I want working here. Simple as that."

Really?!

This is simple, it's quick I can give him that. But what about the others. I ask him; force him to tell me why he just flat out chose me instead of other job-seeking teens.

He glares at me with a small grin with that face that even scare Addie, "I see something in you. Something that I haven't seen in a long time." He continues, "I had this store for twenty years. I had one other person who you reminded me of."

I lean my head down wondering what he is talking about. And then I ponder, about that who. I ask him that same question. "Who was it?" I ask.

Once again, he doesn't reply. It's not like he's hesitating. It seems he doesn't want to give me an answer. Another minute later, he just let it out. "Congrats, you got the job."

He then glances down on the first floor. "Go down there and help out that elderly lady."

What?

I look down to see a sweet lady with short gray hair, wearing a long blouse and long skirt. I don't even know what to do. My nerves are getting to me. I can feel my anxiety growing. I try to lean on the iron banister, hoping Emmet doesn't see me and wonder did he just waste a spot on someone who's not good in this field. I see him barely staring at me; he just continues doing what he's been doing. He's literally putting me in this situation.

If I get my hands on Zip... I mumble in my head.

Fighting off my nerves, I keep taking deep breaths. I hastily head back down. Trying not to let my nerves get to me, I exhale. My lips pucker, waiting to utter that first word. Should I say hello, should I just tell her what she wants. If I can help her, what will be my first word?

I get closer, sweat on my hands. I rapidly wipe it off on my pants. My eyes focus only her. How she just standing near a side table with so many books, stacked in an organized way. I'm ready to ask her, how I can help her. Yet just as I about to get to that mode, I chicken out. I lost the first word I was going to say.

Stupid me.

I want to hit myself, but then I stop as the awkward silence is finally broken. But she's the one who broken it in a gentle way.