Chapter 7

Five days I have been cooped up here in the W.D. MediCenter. Recovering my physical injuries I can handle. I don't know about my mental ones.

People really felt I could be delusional. But it took me enough to realize Anita is missing. Whoever is that black, gold tattooed figure has her. He's somewhere around hiding. I'll give it to him. Dawning is massive. It could take an entire year and a half for the centurions to search this city, every building in every quad. Anita could basically be anywhere.

I can't imagine what Anita's parents are going through. I pray she don't end up like Rufus. It's hard seeing him dead. I can't imagine seeing hers. She has to be saved.

Dr. Ryland had to move me from the observation room to a smaller one. Still the same old, withering smell of dead flowers. That's the scent this hospital always gives.

At least, I got visits from Pratt, Zip, Viola, Bertrand, Declan, classmates, and some teachers from school. It was good seeing them. I focused on them and not Anita. I was even surprised to see Mr. Chandler. Anita's parents refused to see me. I think they held me responsible for their daughter's vanishment.

I'm almost to the point I agree.

Aunt Verdi has always been there for me. She took Addie once he was discharged a couple of days ago. She told me his recovery has been doing great. I'm eager to see my buddy again. One person who hasn't come to see me yet is Emmet.

Could it be Emmet doesn't like coming to the MediCenter, and rather stay recluse in his bookstore and basement. No matter, I still haven't had any reason why those freaky mages came that night. What do they even want? They're probably using Anita for leverage. To force me to give them that object. I wish I knew what it was. I would be happy to give it to them, along as Anita's safe back in my arms.

During my stint here, I had to take these small yellowish-brown, oval pills. It looked disgusting. And worst, it tasted nasty. But the ironic part, it kept my mind calmed. It has a powerful effect that somehow blocked my long term memories.

It was Dr. Ryland's way of telling me, to live my life normal without dwelling on the past. Down side, the effects are temporary. I'm required to take two of them a day. I was shocked I didn't take the pills when I was younger. I even asked the doc. He mentioned to me that I was too young to take them. The effects are really strong.

Since taking them, I didn't see those flames, burnt wood, and three dead bodies. I can still remember the most recent events such as what happened when Anita being abducted, but the flashbacks I have when I was a small kid, those are the ones being blocked.

I guessed it took me long to find out these fractured memories and traumatic event was causing me to be a maniac. I hope I can regain my full memories, remember everything. No pills can do that.

Today is discharge day, the first time I can leave the center. I might have to return to Aunt Verdi's home. No way is she going to allow me to head back to the apartment. I shouldn't go there anyway, knowing what happened.

I zip up the small backpack my aunt gave me. Lying on my bed, I take out a black sleeveless shirt, a grey pair of pants, and tennis shoes. It took a few minutes to change, but I'm happy to get out of this dull hospital gown. I fluff up my mohawk fade. Staring at the small mirror that's hang a few feet away from the bed.

I'm ecstatic I can get out. I can seek my other Gliders to help me find Anita. And then I halt when I hear a series of knocks. My aunt's here.

"Come in." I say. I expect to say Aunt Verdi's name, as she enters. The door slides to the right. I take a small exhale, but I gasp.