Chapter 20

His name caught under my tongue. The shock of knowing a man who never led me to Anita, or alerted me about the torrid truth the half-stone piece applied.

The Orre never accepted my pleas to talk. I stood outside his door. At times, I needed him. But what I just heard from Talaus—who himself hold secrets that I'm wary. Both their lies, I can't stand. One who tricked me into believing he was helping me. And the other, the malefic who pretended to be a mage.

Why should I trust either of them now?

Even so, I have this other need. This need wants to know the truth. I want to know how The Orre sees my arrival here predestined. How this creature, Talaus, knew the dark events that would shape me into who I am now...a damaged kid, a harbinger, a boy who seemingly has no identity.

I muster through my unmeasured hesitance. Stepping forward, my feet pace on the wooden-like floor. "Why did he meet you?"

"You mean..." Talaus tries to say it.

"Yes, how you saw The Orre."

Terra warns him. "If you want to survive, you shouldn't lie to us."

I know she wants answers to how and why The Orre knew this without telling them. And yet won't know because he's still missing. I turn to see Terra aiming her right bowgun to Talaus. She doesn't want to fire, but she might need to if this creature is making us look like fools. But I know he understands.

Talaus smirks after what Terra said. He keeps smiling, "This is how I knew The Orre." He explains, "The Orre met me many centuries ago. He knew about the rare ability I have."

I soon think about that ability, to see into the future. I mention if that's his power. Talaus just grins.

"No way." Silas taken back; seems I'm right about this prediction thing. He tells us that Gremdaunts usually don't see into the future. And how a stiff like Talaus could have that power. Then Talaus stuns us when he mumbles, moving shifty. Right to me.

"I saw a vision. A vision where a boy will have no home, caused by an element. Yet it wasn't spontaneous, it was meant to harm." Talaus grins a little. He continues, "I saw something else as well, but before I can ushered anything. The Orre came to me. He told me to stay quiet. He told me to keep the secret about the boy to myself."

I know I'm this boy. But what other things Talaus saw. I continue to get closer towards him. Talaus quickly sits back up.

"Listen Naven, I know you're wondering what I saw."

"What was it?"

"I can't."

"What you mean you can't!?" Talaus won't say it, he keeps ignoring me. "I want the truth! What is the secret?"

"I promised the old man." He says flustered.

Then I lift my head partially up, The Orre knew something. But what is the promise. Then Terra comes at Talaus, aiming her right bowgun at his forehead.

"Listen Gremdaunt, I don't have time. Tell us everything about the promise. If not I will shoot."

Guess her sister's stubbornness is rubbing off on her. I know Camille is hard to control, yet to see her. I understand why Terra wants to be the stable one. Talaus looks like he doesn't want to say it. His gremlin-like, puffy lips haven't close.

And then as I see Terra forcing Talaus to reveal the truth. Suddenly I remember another fact about the story. 'The boy believes his life is normal but is not.' And odd enough, that's what The Orre told me once.

Just because you're a noblood, doesn't mean you are.

I mull that remark over as Talaus finally speaks more.