Chapter 16

The Gentleman wants me to have his allegiance. And what better way is to bring me to Anita, wherever she is. For the others, it's a mystery. I don't know what they're thinking. Do they want to trust him? I wish they talk to The Orre, but instead they huddle together in a group yards away. And surprisingly ask me to join them.

I get into their huddle, getting in between Silas and Icarus. Terra leads the conversation about the obvious, can they believe The Gentleman will honor his word. There are some deflections. As we all say this stuff quietly, hoping the Man with the Cane don't overhear.

"We got to try." Silas says.

"Can we? We don't need any outsider help." Camille says.

Taking it as a jab to me, it's because of her loathing. I'm trusting in the others, yet that girl with the crazy hair needs more time than I can deliver. She might need me one day, so I ignore her while Icarus fighting her statement.

"Well, how things are looking right now."

I agree with him on that point. For all these past multiple weeks, they still haven't found any leads. Either The Orre's magic isn't enough, or Raudan is doing a good job cloaking his whereabouts. As I ponder what other option they can do without The Gentleman and The Pentacle, Terra quickly addresses to me.

"How about it, Naven. Should we do it?"

Glancing at Terra, my eyes look around the group. Each one stares straight at me. I startle, my mouth losing the pace of what to say. The nerves increase my hesitation. I lean my head down, thinking the only person that can finally find my girlfriend is The Gentleman...yet the decision of trusting him rests on me.

I pause for a minute remaining silent. I can sense Camille probably wondering why they should need me to make this decision. But Terra trusts me. I can't damage that. I look back up not revealing my answer to them. Terra nods knowing what my response is. I break the huddle, turning around to see The Gentleman just standing cool-headed, holding his cane with both hands.

"Go ahead!" I say.

The Gentleman takes his hat off, and bows acknowledging he will. The Gentleman then leans back straight. He puts back on his hat. He uses one hand to twist the left edge of his mustache, as his eyes are closed.

The others are still reluctant to accept who he is, but they just stand as they watch the Man with the Cane do his work. I turn to see The Orre, who hasn't spoke another word only standing back at his corner spot sitting down. He leans his head down. I wonder did I make a mistake. I walk towards the corner. The Orre must have known I had to do this. There's no other way. And in an instant, The Gentleman is finished.

He found her.

***

We park all five harpies nearby a bunch of shrubs. We all jump off. The Shadowhawks have their armor outfits on, prepping their weapons on standby. Terra twists her dual bowguns, Camille places her whip tuck to her side. Silas tucks multiple daggers around his belt. Icarus places his axe on his back armor.

I didn't leave the Basement unprepared, the guys lend me the same armor wristbands, shoulder pads, chest pad they have on. Even though I have the grey cargo pants and black boots, the only difference is that I'm wearing my black sleeveless shirt. We pace slowly towards a desolate site and notice the worn-down tents, fractures with the wind flapping the torn fabric. And a lot of large dug up holes, some still open and others filled with dust.

When The Gentleman told us he located Anita somewhere here, this abandoned camp site in the Outerlands. He told us the name. I skip the beat. It's the Trent Campgrounds.