Chapter 5

Every time I see her. I'm transfixed on the way she appears.

And she's not alone, there's the other girl. Why were they in the bookstore's basement? Thinking about it, how Emmet knew Terra, the other girl, and the rest I saw. Why that male's body was being burned? What is Emmet trying to hide?

I'm still more surprised that Declan, Violet, and Bertrand haven't seen Terra and the others. What is going on? I want to get up and see her again. Ask Terra, why she was in the basement. I can feel a slip in my mind; those nerves are getting to me. I think a migraine is coming. I try to shake it off. So much to think about. As much as I want to know, I want to stand up and go there to talk to them. Find out what were they doing down there.

Even though I feel my nerves pressuring me, I remain sitting. I decline the passion to know. I have Anita with me. Her head carefully leaning towards my shoulder. I feel her tenderness, her softness holding me down like an anchor. I can't walk away from her.

If I do walk away, Anita will have Zip to count on. I respect my friend. But she should rather spend the night with me. I need to honor that. She's my girlfriend in reality. My first one. I can't abandon her.

Something inside me just tells me, I can't ignore Terra and the other girl over there. They're at least twenty yards away from us. Terra is just standing, checking around for something. Then next to her, is the other girl. I don't know much about her. Unlike Terra, who I bumped into, I don't know the other girl. She has those grey eyes, plain skin, and a certain bobby-cut hairstyle. It looks extended to her right side, yet I then notice something peculiar.

Her hair has the color of a jaguar. I can see the jaguar fur-like hair from a mile away. I seen students from school mostly girls and some boys doing this exact same hairstyle. I remembered it, it's called fursplicing.

It's a radical hair procedure where doctors-rumors stating they're mages-are able to change a person's hair and turned it into fur-like hair. And the cool thing is that whoever wants that fur, can change the look anytime. The people, who like doing this, can theme their hair in many ways like Joa do with his bowties. Instead of coloring their hair, they can make their hair look physically like an animal's fur.

I had seen people with bear hair, dog hair, cat hair, even platypus hair. Strange as it sounds; it still is a fascinating trend. Adults try to stop the movement before, but since more of us youth keep loving it and pursue it, the adults are having a hard time to get rid of it.

Besides Terra's friend, there are even few people here having fur hair. I find it bizarre, but I will never try and do it. Anita hates what it does to a person's hair. She adores according to her-her natural look. She doesn't want to taint it. I glance at her hair. She doesn't need to change. I like her the way she is.

A loud bang is soon heard.

Anita jolts up. I hear Zip shouting, "Alright! That's amazing, bro!"

I turn back to see the Upwood twins turning their lights into fireworks. Anita mentions how cool it is. I glare at her. I rub her cheeks softly. However, my focus shifts back to Terra. She and the other girl seems like they're doing something, they both are wearing those same outfits I seen them wearing in the basement.

I hate spying on them, yet I just can't stop looking. There's something about them. I then see Anita as she looks worried.

"What's wrong?" She leans close. "The lights are so hypnotic."

I let her know that yes, they are hypnotic. It's hard to turn away from those stunning lights. The ribbon-like likes flying around us, circulating around, changing colors. But why I'm not solely looking at it. I think I know. The aura of Terra seems to be more mesmerizing.