05

Hot water beat down on my body early this morning. I tossed and turned throughout the night, my mind plagued by restless thoughts and the weight of the day's events and the nightmare of the day. I close my eyes, seeking out the solace in the rejuvenating embrace of a hot shower. The water cascades over my body, washing away the remnants of sleepless nights and the lingering unease that clings to me like a shadow.

The steam envelops me, and as the water massages my skin, I can almost forget the complexities and dangers that await outside these walls. But I know I can't linger here for too long. Gael, with his enigmatic presence, is the type who seems to have the audacity to invite himself anywhere in the house without permission. Reluctantly, I turn off the shower, the droplets of water clinging to my skin like fleeting moments of tranquility. I step out onto the tiled floor, wrapping myself in a plush towel, and make my way back to my room.

I push the door open, my heart leaps into my throat, and an involuntary scream escapes my lips.There, standing in my room, is someone I never expected to see. Panic courses through my veins as I scramble to process the situation, my mind racing with a myriad of questions and possibilities.

"Oh, sorry to startle you, Leilani." The unknown woman speaks to me.

"Who are you?" I say, reliced to see another woman in a day, but it's also weird that she is in my room.

I watch as the sun-kissed woman enters my room, her long limbs gracefully moving across the space. Her black hair cascades down her back, and her vibrant attire, held together by an array of silver, pink, and yellow 99 cent store pins, catches my attention. She smiles warmly at me, as if she isn't just intruding in my personal space.

"Hello, I'm Shaion," she introduces herself cheerfully, her voice carrying a hint of enthusiasm.

I eye her suspiciously, trying to make sense of her presence. "Okay, Shaion, what are you doing here? Unless you are..." I trail off, my mind conjuring up various possibilities of her being in the same situation as me.

"I'm the maid. Today was my day off, but unfortunately, Gael called me to come drop these for you." She gestures toward the bags resting on my bed, a mix of black and clear bags, filled with unknown contents.

"It seems like you think I need some new clothes."

"I don't need new clothes. I have my own outfit." I remark, my voice tinged with a hint of skepticism. I glance around, searching for my outfit from yesterday, only to realize it's nowhere to be found.

"Oh, I put your clothes in the laundry," Shaion says casually.

I groan in annoyance. My plans for the day were suddenly derailed by the whims of Gael and the unforeseen presence of Shaion. I contemplate the options before me, realizing that I have little choice but to make the best of the situation. With a resigned sigh, I decide to go along with the unexpected turn of events. "Thank you for the clothes," I say.

Shaion's eyes sparkle with amusement as she watches my reaction, her smile widening. "Well, I hope you find something you like. If you need anything else, just let me know. I will be down getting the rest of the clothes." She makes her exit, leaving me alone with the unfamiliar garments.

I begin the daunting task of sifting through the mysterious contents of the bags. A lot of the clothes are just a mix of clothes from various ears from the 70s all the way to the modern times. A lot of them looked like they were bought from a thrift store or taken from the side of the road. After looking through everything, I eventually stick to a regular yellow ruched tank top, fitted jeans. I look like every other basic Pinterest girl.

"Good, you're dressed." Shaion walks into my room with more clothes.

"Fuck, you need to stop doing that."