32

Today is the day that I finally get to leave this forsaken place after what felt like years. I hear a soft knock on my door, interrupting the stillness of the room. Startled, I call out, "Who is it?" The door swings open, revealing Kingsley standing there, a faint smile on his face.

"Ready to leave?" he asks, his voice calm and reassuring. I can't help but raise an eyebrow at his promptness. "Wow, really want me to leave so soon?" I tease, my tone laced with a touch of sarcasm.

Kingsley cracks a smile, his eyes sparkling with a hint of mischief. "I admire your presence," he says. "I am just speaking in a place of care."

A sense of gratitude washes over me, appreciating the concern behind his words. "Thanks, Kings," I reply, my voice filled with genuine appreciation. I pause for a moment, considering our connection. "Can I call you that?" I inquire, wanting to establish a more familiar bond.

Kingsley's smile widens, his gaze warm and inviting. "Many of the gangs have different nicknames for me," he explains, a note of amusement in his voice. "But Kings are the most tame of names."

My phone buzzes and I answer immediately. My parents have been on my case about me coming home. Like, I never really knew they would miss me like this. I mean times have been hard so I at least got to be there with them. They are my only family now.

"Do you want me to drive you? I have nothing else to do now."

"No need. I'll call an Uber."

"At least let me carry your bag."

Kingsley and I make our way down the steps, he carries my bag with him. We enter the living room, and I begin to gather the items I need to prepare myself for the journey ahead.

"I'm going to miss having you around," I confess, my voice tinged with a hint of sadness. The thought of leaving behind the familiar presence of Kingsley feels bittersweet.

A warm smile spreads across his face as he meets my gaze. "I feel the same," he replies, his words filled with genuine sincerity. The connection we've formed in such a short time holds a unique significance, and the prospect of parting ways weighs heavily on both of us.

"I wish I could just hire you to work for me," I muse aloud, a hint of playfulness in my tone. "Are you good at sewing?" The question brings a soft chuckle from deep within Kingsley.

"I'm very good at it," he affirms, his laughter lingering in the air. "But too bad I have to decline. I actually have another job lined up after this."

Curiosity piques within me as I inquire further. "Oh really? What will you be doing?" I ask, genuinely intrigued by the path he has chosen.

A mischievous twinkle dances in Kingsley's eyes as he shares his plans. "I'll be working as a cruise ship crew member," he reveals, his voice filled with a sense of adventure and excitement.

"Look at you, living your life," I remark, a mixture of admiration and playfulness coloring my words.

Kingsley smiles then he near me. He hugs me and I feel kind weird but its still comforting. "Sorry."

"Its alright."

"Well I need to go now."

I watch him leave the office room.

"Damn, Uber for $60?" I stare at my phone screen as I make my way down the steps. If I knew, I should have got Kingsley to drop me off.

As I stand in the room, my eyes covered by Shaion's gentle touch, I feel a sense of trust and familiarity envelop me. Her presence brings a comfort that allows me to let go of my worries, if only for a moment.