02 - team orders

Lando

Curious I looked up and the door slowly opened. At first I saw his black hair before the Spaniard entered my room completely. A smile was on his lips but I couldn't reply it. Concerned Carlos stepped closer towards me and put his hand on my shoulder, which I snapped away.

"What's wrong?" he asked me and I jut shook my head before I answered.

"Isn't that clear? Oh no I forgot, you haven't spoken to me for the last months how should you know."

The smile on Carlos lips faded away and he widened his eyes.

"You watched the press conference."

It was more a whisper to himself but I clearly heard it and started to get angry.

"Of course I heard it Carlos! I was there to see you but it sounded like you didn't wanna see me."

I was getting more and more angry and mad at Carlos for his statement at the press conference. Of course it was a shock as the reporter brought up my name and Carlos had to react quickly but he hadn't have to say we aren't friends anymore.

"Please let me explain it Lando."

Even I was mad at him, the way he rolled the L of my name got me goosebumps but I tried to focus on the topic again.

"What's to explain, you clearly didn't want to be seen with me any more not even as friends and I don't understand why. Why did you post that picture of us if you don't care at all? Do you even want to be together with me?"

With the last question I looked up and into his eyes but Carlos looked away. I looked at him expectantly and the Spaniard ran his fingers through his hair nervously.

"I really like you Lando but... the team..."

"That is not an answer to my question Carlos! But looks like I got one so please go now, leave my drivers room and leave the hospitality. Now!"

I got really loud and was actually surprised be myself, but I was angry and mad at him. Carlos didn't say a word, he just sighed and than looked in my eyes again, but this time I was the one who looked away. Without another word or look the Spaniard turned around and left my room. I hurt I'm not gonna lie but I couldn't have him here now, not after what happened and what he said or don't said.

Sitting in my drivers room made me go crazy that's why I decided to make a quick track walk on my own. My meeting was in about an hour and I therefore had more than enough time. Exactly as I jumped from the pit lane on the track I heard a familiar voice behind me.

"Hey Lando wait."

I turned around and saw the Monegasque coming over to me. To be honest I was not really keen to talk to Carlos friend and colleague but I liked Charles and he didn't have anything with this thing to do so I agreed on a track walk together when he asked me.

"What happened to you and Carlos, he came back earlier and looked really hurt."

Charles knew about me and Carlos, as did Alex and George but nobody else has knowledge about our relationship, which I wasn't sure at the moment if there was one. Actually I wasn't in the mood to talk about this now but otherwise it would eat me up from the inside because today I wouldn't have the chance to speak to Alex and George.

"Did you saw the press conference?" I asked the Ferrari man next to me, who shook his head.

Quickly I told him about the question and what Carlos said and our conversation afterwards. Suddenly Charles stopped and looked at me in horror.

"I may have heard something earlier, related to this and your relationship."

Curious I stopped too and looked at the Monegasque.

"I was getting some food when I passed the office of our team principal and I could hear him inside, talking to Carlos I believe. He said this picture had caused to much attention to other things outside of performance and the car and he should stop posting about it. He said it was okay for him that Carlos is in a relationship with a man but he shouldn't make it that public."

My jaw dropped more and more as Charles talked and I couldn't believe what I just heard. But otherwise this didn't include anything with me and I therefore looked at Charles.

"But what does it have to do with me?"

The Monegasque sighed and looked away for a minute before he started walking again, without giving me an answer. I quickly ran after him and grabbed his arm so he would stop again.

"What else did you hear?" I asked the Ferrari driver who didn't look as relaxed as two minutes ago.

"He said that he hope that it isn't another driver and if this is the case Carlos should end it right away because that would be to explosive for the formula one world. And he said if it has something to do with you than this would have consequences because of the whole fight between Ferrari and McLaren this season."

I was standing there in shock and wasn't sure if what I just heard was real.

"He would lose his seat if he continues being in a relationship with me?!" I asked Charles in horror and my heartbeat increased dramatically.

"Yes, more or less. But then I left before any more was said."

On one hand I wanted to shout a Charles why he left and didn't listen to the rest but there where so many other things in my head right now and I couldn't think straight. But something hit me with realization, when Carlos came to me earlier he probably wanted to break up because he otherwise would face consequences from his team.

"I shouldn't have told you." Charles said and shook his head in regret.

"No, no Charles I thank you for telling me but I didn't understand it. Why are they so much against a relationship between two drivers or a gay driver?"

"Because it would ruin the perfect image of formula one for them."