16. Punishments and Acting Weird

One month later
Bradley's POV:
"I'm literally dying." Shelby says from the ground next to me.

"Same." I mumble while trying to catch my breath.

"How long do we have to do this shit for?" Jake asks no one in particular.

"Until the three of you can act right." Captain Rhodes appears out of nowhere.

Ever since the fight, me and Shelby have not gotten along with Jake at all. Rhodes keeps purposely putting us together for flying courses, and it's not working out well. Maverick decided that our punishment is a different workout for any rude comments towards each other, and Jake always has a lot to say. I'm not sure why Admiral Simpson even listened to Mav's idea, I think he just wants to see us in pain. Today's argument resulted in way too many push-ups.

"I didn't even do anything." Shelby tells him.

"I don't care. You were part of last semester's fight, so you are part of the punishment. Now get up, you guys have another mile." Kill me now.

As we're on our third lap, and half way dead, Admiral Simpson comes out to make fun of us.

"I'm sending this to your dad, Mitchell. It's too funny." He pulls out his phone and starts videoing as we pass by. Shelby flips off the camera and rolls her eyes. As if that won't get us in more trouble.

"Anything you wanna say, Bradshaw?" He shouts at me as I come by behind Shelby.

"Fuck you, Mav." I sarcastically say and salute to the camera as I jog by.

One hour later:

"This is it. I'm dying. Goodbye." Shelby flops onto the couch and I lay on the floor. We've just gotten home, and neither of us have said a word since we finished our workout.

"I'm done with this shit." I mumble.

"What was y'all's argument even about?" She props herself up on her elbows and looks at me.

"Something dumb." I tell her, not wanting to share the real story.

"Tell me." She demands.

Earlier:
"Your girl Shelby looks real hot in that flight suit, by the way." Jake remarks after just a bit of banter.

"Don't talk about her like that. The hell is wrong with you?"

"Just trying to piss you off a little. Maybe it'll make you fly faster." He gives me the most obnoxious fake grin.

"Do you ever shut up?"

"Look dude, I'm sorry your roommate doesn't like you back, it's hard competing against a guy like me."

"You're delusional. She hates you, bro." I shake my head. "And can you stop saying I like her? It's really fucking annoying."

"You know what's really fucking annoying? Having to fly with your slow ass."

"Oh yes, because I really enjoy getting left hanging every week." I sarcastically reply.

"Seresin! Bradshaw!" Rhodes appears in the hallway. He heard this whole conversation, didn't he? "What did I say about the arguing? Especially over Mitchell?"

"Uhhhh..."

"Whats going on now?" Shelby walks into the hallway with Reuben and Mickey.

"You three, on the track at 16:00." He professionally orders. Shel gives me a confused and disappointing look.

"THATS what I had to condition for?" She replies to my side of the story.