2. older, but just never wiser

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

   'MEET ME AT THE end of your driveway!'—Belly

Aspen cocks a confused eyebrow. This is Belly's movie night with the mom's, where could she possibly be going?

   Aspen is already ready for the bonfire though and if that's where Belly is headed, she will happily walk her.

   Plus, being with Belly gives her that extra distraction, hoping anxiety or whatever else decides to consume her goes away with her close friend being there. Being a lightweight with alcohol also helps.

   Theo is already gone, pregaming with the boys. Aspen rushes out to her driveway, not bothering to say goodbye to her mother who is asleep with the light on. Under the moonlight Aspen sees Belly in a tight pink dress. Something she's never seen her in before. "Isabel Conklin!" Aspen exclaims but Belly panics, shushing her, "Sorry. You look beautiful."

   Belly nervously fidgets with the spaghetti straps of the dress, "Really? Is it too short?"

   Aspen spins her around, seeing the dress stops mid thigh. "No. Perfect," Aspen tells her with a smile. Belly beams, "Well, I like your outfit too." Aspen glances down at the striped crochet top, necklaces with crystals dangling, and dark blue denim shorts on—which are shorter than Belly's dress.

   "Come on, let's go before the mom's notice," Belly says and starts skipping down the road, leaving Aspen no choice but to follow.

    THE BEACH IS LIT by a small bonfire, teens already chugging down beers and passing blunts surround Maggie.

   Her own red solo cup filled with beer sits in her hands. From beside her, Caiden stands and he's surprised his sister hasn't popped a gasket already. Maggie Finnegan would deny it up and down if he said it out loud but she's jealous of Nicole, Conrad's newest arm candy.

Maggie keeps mumbling about how confused she is.

    Why didn't he mention her? Have they already fallen past that point? She has to know about Maggie, right? Conrad has to have mentioned his best friend, right?

   Theo stands on the other side of her, sharing a concerned look with the blonde boy. "Maggie, you want more beer?" Theo asks, trying to get her away from Conrad. "What?" Maggie asks rather loudly, "Oh, no. I haven't finished this one."

"Maybe you should," Caiden remarks, pushing the cup gently towards her mouth. Maggie huffs, pushing his hand away. Her eyes have at least diverted away from Conrad and Nicole who sit a mere 10 feet in front of them.